Chord symbols A4 3 - how?

Hello,

sometimes when copying music I come across these simple chord symbols and wonder how to input them easily with Dorico:

A4 - 3.png

Engraving Options, Chord Symbols, scroll to the bottom. You can create any sorts of custom chord symbols you want.

You can also enter a simple A chord, then switch to Engrave mode and double click to edit it individually. That’s probably best here, unless your score has many examples of this exact figure. What you want is not a native setting; you must create it. And it’ll actually be a single chord expression, not a figured-bass chain over multiple rhythmic positions.

Thanks Dan,
I will go and have a look.

Ok, dan, today I took some time to get into this.
So far I input chord symbols by invoking the Popover with Shift-Q and the typing a letter or a combination into that popover.
To get the desired A4 symbol I will have to type in “ASUS4” and set my engraving options like this:

Now I follow your route and - instead of typing in text into the popover field - I play the chord on the MIDI keyboard. This does work.
I edited the A-Major chord to be displayed as A3.
How can I get the resolution chord A major just to display the “3”, not “A3”?:
Editing via Engraving Options-Chord Symbols-Project Default Appearance, I can add the 3, but can not get rid of the A. If I do, I can not position the 3 to be at the right place…

A4 A3.png

Try going to Engrave mode and double clicking on the A3 to edit it individually. You can also move things around in Engrave to get the positioning you want.

Thank you Dan,
this is exactly what I tried:
I added a “3” to the “A”
I scaled the “3” to 65%
I positioned the “3” so to make it it look like superscript
I deleted the “A”
Now the problem:
The “3” jumps off its position and it is not possible to edit it back into place.
At this very stage I got stuck and posted my answer here :wink:

Ah, sorry. I haven’t tried that myself. I suppose your best bet might be the text tool, then. You may need to modify its properties regarding “avoid collision.”

I think the reason it’s not working is that this is outside the typical use case for chord symbols. This is really more like figured bass (albeit above), so it requires a workaround.

What do those chord symbols even mean? I have never seen that kind of notation.

I think it’s functioning as a sort of figured bass - the 4 resolves to 3. That’s what it looks like in the voices. But you’re right, not how it’s generally done.

Exactly. You use that when you want to show that only some modifier gets added or changed in you Chord.
When you have
G […] 7
then you start with G major and change to G7 later.

Normally one would just type “A” for the resolution of the suspension. I would suggest putting the “A” where the chord resolves, then hiding it and using text to show the “3” if that’s what the engraver wants to see.

Ok, I have now managed it by using Shift-X text. The Chord Symbol text font seems to be Academico. If I scale the number to 7.0 spaces it looks similar to the other superscript chord symbol numbers:

A4 3 Shift-X Academico 7.png