chord symbols - resizing and other troubles

In Dorico 3 I have been working on a first score for a larger group. Lots of chord symbols - especially maj7#11, 6/9, etc. My customer complains that the maj7 in the default maj7#11 is too small. And I see what she means; somehow various sections of chord symbols (alt, add9…) are sized differently.

Since we are under time pressure I don’t have a lot of time to research, but start editing each individual chord in the score. Now it looks acceptable to my customer and she requests a transposed score - which is easy, except now all transposing instruments revert back to the old sizes. I guess these are default sizes and I can change them - and I will…

But, while I was changing these different chord symbols individually Dorico thought it should crash after every few edits. I am used to saving after EVERY edit so nothing lost but time. Same random crashes happen when I am working in the Chord Symbols-Project Default Appearances.

Ok. I am trying to change the default sizes of some of these chord symbols in Engraving Options-Chord Symbols-Default Appearance. Am I imagining this, or doing it wrong…? I deleted all the overrides by resetting to factory. Now both lists, “Project Default Appearances” & “SIngle Overrides”, are empty. I want to change the appearance of ALL ‘maj7#11’ chords. But I have to enter ‘Cmaj7#11’ and add that to the Project Default Appearances list. Now I can change sizes and other stuff. I click apply. And… nothing changes in my score. I find that only when I create a new ‘Cmaj7#11’ chord symbol in the score it will display with the new sizes. But if I create a Bbmaj7#11 it will display in the original sizes. I thought I am redefining the default appearance. Please don’t tell me I have to add my desired sizes in every key.

Or I might just be missing something…

Peter

Not my day today with Dorico. More fun with chord symbols:
in my concert score page 8 - I see all chord symbols
in transposed score page 8 - transposing instruments lose the last two chord symbols?
also missing in individual parts

These two bars are the only place where this happens - in a 100+ measure score. Maybe it has to do with the chord symbol Bbmaj7add2/D - but a few pages later this same chord symbol os used and it shows up on all staves.

Wow, this piece needs to go out tomorrow and I am actually out of ideas. What could this be?

I think I found a raw spot in Dorico 3. There are several chord symbols in the transposed score I need to override to resize.
However, when I open them in “Edit Chord Symbol Appearance”, make my change and then click OK, Dorico crashes.

Same thing when I try to change that chord symbol in Project Default Chord Symbol Appearance. I think this is not supposed to happen?

Process: Dorico 3 [25738]
Path: /Applications/Dorico 3.app/Contents/MacOS/Dorico 3
Identifier: com.steinberg.dorico3
Version: 3.0.0.1038 (3.0.0.1038)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Dorico 3 [25738]
User ID: 502

Date/Time: 2019-10-26 23:03:45.377 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G8037)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 0DA70699-93E2-5381-0549-61DBF9B506AA

Sleep/Wake UUID: CDDB9397-4D7A-4E7D-8560-0495319F63C9

Time Awake Since Boot: 56000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000011
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

VM Regions Near 0x11:

Peter, please do Help > Create Diagnostic Report to produce a zip file containing the diagnostics we’ll need to work out why Dorico is crashing. Printing the first few lines of a single crash log in a forum post unfortunately doesn’t help us. You should also zip up and attach the project itself so we can take a look at that, per the post I link to most often on this forum.

To make chord symbols bigger, by the way, the best approach to do so is by editing the relevant font styles.

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was able to reproduce the crash but Help->Create Diagnostic Report doesn’t seem to do anything. If it creates a ZIP file somewhere I don’t know where or what it’s called.

I will be happy to send the Dorico file that causes the trouble.

In this specific example my customer needed something like Cmaj7#11 - with the ‘maj7’ at the same size like the chord name. Eventually I found the setting in the Chord Symbols default under Appearance of major seventh.

The other chord symbol causing a problem is Bb6/9. My customer wants the 6/9 (not the vertical spelling) but she wants it larger.
For this I couldn’t find a setting in the Chord Symbols default. Personally I also like this better larger - but how can I make this larger as a default?

Finally, I see what you mean by using font styles for sizing - but that doesn’t give me control of the chord extension (maj7, 6/9 etc).

Peter

The zip file produced by doing Help > Create Diagnostic Report is called “Dorico Diagnostics.zip” and it will be on your computer’s desktop.

To make the 6/9 larger, go to the Project Default Chord Symbol Appearance dialog, which you’ll find at the bottom of the Chord Symbols page of Engraving Options. Enter e.g. C6/9 into the box at the top left-hand corner of the dialog so you can see a 6/9 chord in the main editing area. Select the 6/9 in the editor on the right. Look at the grid of chord symbol components below the editor. Select the one you want to use, and click the pencil icon to edit it. Make the components larger as desired, then OK the two dialogs.

Hi Daniel

Indeed there is a diagnostics report ZIP file on my desktop. How can I get it to you?

Peter

Click the “full editor and preview” option below the “quick reply” window.

Click the “Attachments” tab below where you write the post, and then “add files”.

…and if the file’s too big to post as an attachment here, you can use WeTransfer.com to send it to d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de

Ok. Sorry, I was under the impression that attachments are limited to images.
I can send the Dorico file where this is happening - but not publicly since it’s a customer’s copyrighted music.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1020 KB)

You can mail the file directly to Daniel with a link back to this thread.

What file format can I attach? Obviously .dorico doesn’t work but neither .zip?

Via email? Whatever you like!
On this forum? You can zip Dorico files just fine, and they’ll attach as long as they’re not over 2mb. If your Dorico project is over 2mb, then make a copy of the file, and then from within Dorico go Play > Playback Template. Select “Silence” and then Apply and Close. On saving you should find that your file is much smaller. Then zip and attach here.