Chord Symbols "Show for all parts" should be selectable at the INSTRUMENT level

and a third:

Set your chord symbols wherever you want them for the 1st layout. Then go into the 2nd layout, Select All, go Edit > Filter > Chord Symbols, then in the bottom properties panel set them to Hidden.

Thank you pianoleo, your answer was very helpful😊

As I deal more with chords and Jazz charts, I am starting to wish there was a dialogue box (prob. in engrave mode) where one could select where chord symbols should appear. I’m thinking of an option that shows "Show Chord Symbols for: (and a dropdown list that shows all instruments in your flow - or maybe a list of all instruments with check boxes next to them so you could do several at once), then "Show in measure(s) : (enter range here). Done.

For selected instrument there could be check boxes for things like: Show Chord Symbols in every measure with notes or slash marks, Hide chord Symbols in empty measures, Show in slash regions only, Show in score only, Show in part only, Shown in Score and Part, Play Chords with (select option), On repeats, play chords (option for 1st time only, 2nd time only, etc., all times), show chord symbols in-between staves for Piano. Hide all Chord Symbols for selected instrument. This way one could select the rhythm section instruments that show chords, not as a group option.

So if I had a big band chart with solo’s for Alto, Trumpet and Trombone I could easily select those options I wanted for each instrument (or even several instruments at once) - In this case I would check the boxes for Alto, Trumpet and Trombone and choose the option Show in slash region only, Show in Score and Part, enter the measure range and in 3 or 4 clicks have the result I wanted. As it is now, I spend lots of time hiding unwanted chord symbols. Computers are smart, let them do the grunt work.

Of course, you still have to enter the Chord Symbols as usual but once that’s done you can choose where they appear much faster, and no going through the score hiding chord symbols (and no big green boxes anywhere covering other things like dynamics!)

Just my thoughts but I do feel that there is much room for improvement in this area.

Love this.
D.D.

I like the idea of having an option to automatically show chord symbols only in slash regions for melodic instruments – I’ll make a note of that and discuss it with the team.

Hi!

I do think that it would be a great idea to have a way of showing the chords in specified sections. To me it sounds like a nice idea to have the chords show automatically in slash regions, but even better would be if the function “show chords” could work in the same way as cues. That would make a really great chord functionality awesome!

Often I need to write some cues in the solo section and not use slashes for that section, but I still need the chords to show. Sometimes the solo goes on top of melodic lines that the soloist need to see to know what’s happening during his/her solo.

/O

…and please make it possible to select chords in longer passages, even not visible on the screen (e.g. a whole flow…)

I’m very pleased you agree Daniel, every now and then my brain spits out a good idea!

Yes, sometimes you need chords where there are no slashes, I still think it could be done much easier with my suggestions.
Maybe one option for “Show in slash region” and another to "Show chord symbols for instrument in measures: (enter measure range, or specific measures separated by comma).

I like the parallel to the Cue option as well.

I have more suggestions because I’m just in the process of arranging some music for big band and came across the issue that chord symbols are shown throughout the piece for a player that just has a short solo at some point, and I have to select the unused chord symbols to hide them manually which is very tedious.

So, first suggestion: have an option to automatically hide chord symbols on empty bars (i. e. bars with rests only).
Second suggestion: have something like “chord symbol regions”, i. e. similar to slash regions or bar repeat regions or cues, where you can drag a handle to expand/contract the area where chord symbols are supposed to be shown.

chord symbol appearance could be using a range tool as rythm slashes ranges are implemented.
select a range and chord symbols appear

I don’t know how difficult that would be to deliver, but that is EXACTLY how chords are used in most jazz charts. Soloists need chords only over brief ranges. Rhy instruments typically see chords over most of the chart, but even so, they often work with ranges. There will often be times when the piano is comping to chords with the bass playing a specific written line or vice versa.

One ensemble I write for has a guitar that half the time is a comping instrument and half the time is a melody instrument. And that was the point of my original post. I wouldn’t mind writing this as two different instruments for one player, but the chord settings are for the entire player, not for the instrument. Your range concept would be even better, as it could all be on one instrument then.

I agree with cpalmerlee. For example, I have just engraved a Billy Joel tune (“Miami 2017”) that has a long piano/vocal introduction (and outro), and since the bass only comes in around bar 40, I would like to have multi-bar rests during the introduction in the bass part, then show a vocal cue, and start with the chord symbols only when the bass actually starts to play. Same with the outro. No need to show chord symbols to the bass player who would otherwise have a “tacet al fine” multi-bar rest.

But as soon as I enter chord symbols, I can’t have a multi-bar rest any more (unless I’m missing a setting). It would be great if I could specify the region(s) where any given instrument is shown chord symbols, and where it isn’t.

Pietzcker, of course you can. Marquee select the chord symbols you don’t want to see (or select the whole passage using the System Track and then filter chord symbols) and then hide them from the Properties panel. You’ll get a multirest.

pianoleo, awesome, thanks for the tip, this works perfectly!

Yeah. I’m gonna be writing a lot of chord charts. Sometimes over slashes, but also sometimes over, say, a written out bass-line to give the bassist the option to “ad lib” or play what’s written.
Having a hard time doing this in Dorico Elements. I’m not even finding where in set-up mode I can assign chord symbols to a particular player…

dear wrldwdarr,
In Setup mode, the left panel lists the players. Right click the player where you want the chords to appear. You get a context menu. There Chord symbols>Show for all instruments (that this particular player is holding, this is what it means implicitly) should do what you need. You’ll notice that you have granular control over the appearance of the chords in Parts and/or in Full score too.
Hope it helps!

[Edit] I see this thread is quite outdated now, since some features like “chord regions” have been added, that allow you to choose more granularly where (rhythmically) you want the chords to appear. If the chord region covers the entire flow, all the chords will show. But you can create regions on choruses and not on verses, or on improvisation sections… I think the user guide is up to date on these matters, and if not, consult 3.1 and 3.5 version history documents.

Ah “right click” was the ticket. But funny when I selected just rhythm players, the chords still remain over the horns…
Oh I need to edit each player.

The chord symbols menu is per player. You might need to go through that process a few times.