Chord Track and VariAudio - help please!

on this link

http://www.steinberg.net/en/education/teaching_composition_songwriting_with_cubase_7.html

the text says the following -

“The Chord track also works for students who are predominantly melodists. Once again, we can use vari audio to analyse the melodic content and then use chord track to create the backing for us by asking for chord suggestions to fit underneath the melody. In addition, Cubase can analyse midi data and construct a chord track solely from a single midi track or an entire midi file that can easily be dragged from the desk top straight into the project”

how does this funciton work, it’s implying that I can create chords from a single line melody from midi - any help would be appreciated…

cheers
Darren

Check Steinberg Youtubechannel = http://www.youtube.com/steinbergsoftware
Cubase 7 Advanced Video Tutorial - Chord track
- YouTube

Hope this helps

Thanks for the link, I’ve seen that one before, great demo, however after watching it againI think the penny may have dropped! :confused:

I was expecting you could generate chords from a melody of single midi notes, however looking at the link again (and trying it myself on Cubase) seems you need to have 3 notes played at the same time before the chord’s will be generated…

Another question - can you determine the chords by the scale/mode you want to play, for example, if I want to generate chords which would work around the A Phrygian mode, can you do that? Chord track determins the scale based upon the chords you select in chord track but can you reverse the process to generate chords based on a specific scale or mode?

thanks again…
Darren

“Another question - can you determine the chords by the scale/mode you want to play, for example, if I want to generate chords which would work around the A Phrygian mode, can you do that? Chord track determins the scale based upon the chords you select in chord track but can you reverse the process to generate chords based on a specific scale or mode?”

This is what i really like to know too.
But i am afraid it’s not implemented.
I find it more logical that Cubase should make chords based on a set Key/scale/mode.