Chordpads make rythm one finger

Hi,
Hard to understand the manual, so I ask here instead…

Can I make a single note rythm on my midi keybord and then transfer
That rythm to a chordtrack or pads but get suitable chords that plays the ”beat” I have recorded? How do I do it?

Please help!
Micke.

Drag the midi into the midi progression found in the chord pad in the lower zone. Best to get the detail from the manual but yes it can be done

Hi Triton100, by “midi progression found in the chord pad in the lower zone” do you mean the midi that can be dragged to players?
If so, I think tis only affects the pattern with wich single chords are played.

The question is: If we have a single note “rhythm pattern” as the OP suggestes: how can these be applied to a chord progression. Since triggering the chords can be done by a midi track (that has to trigger the pads so to speak like an external keyboard) it boils down to the following imho:

There is ONE midi track with just the rhythmic pattern - just on one single note.
There is ANOTHER midi track that reflects the triggering of the chordpads but WITHOUT the rhythmic structure of the track mentioned before.
Now the question is: How could we force the second midi track to follow the rythm of the first one.

So far I don’t have any idea how this could be done - and the logic would be not trivial imho.

Cheers, Ernst

Around 8mins 13 in

Thank you, this is exactly what I said. The pattern we can import affects the way the single chords are played (arpeggios actually), but not the sequence of chords per se. There also seems to be no way to import a pattern for “strumming” or playing the block-chords in a derfined rhythmical way.

Yes…

I just watched that Greg Ondo video on Youtube and… no, thats not what I am talking about.

Scenario: I have nice chords on the pads I have made them myself :slight_smile: NOW, I want these chords to follow a specific rhytm I also have thought out.
and recorded on a separate MIDI track. paradiddle paradiddle…

How to get the chords on the pads to play, Paradiddle Paradiddle?

Micke.

That IS what Greg shows on the youtube video? You can drag the MIDI section as a pattern for the pads to utilise.(?)

The other way is to lay our your chords on the timeline, and then copy them to chord track.

Then set the track that contains your MIDI rhythmic playing to follow chord track. Results will vary though, but you have the option of resizing the chords on chordtrack to match the rhythm as you please.

As I already wrote: No, this is not possible as far as I can see.
It would not be trivial to build. Why? Well - just to give an example based on your “paradiddle paradiddle”. Let us assume you have 4 Chords. How are they spread across bars? Should every “beat” of the “paradiddle” switch so the next chord of the progression? If not - when should the next chord be taken? How should the chords be distributed over the various beats (assignemnt of chord changes to the beats of the paradiddle).

The point is: the logic of the assignment of chords to the beats of the paradiddle would have to be defined somehow.

A function like that would be a nice feature - working like “groove qunatizing” for example

I have an idea that might be a workaround in some cases:

Assuming that the chords you found trigger an instrument which produces the audio signal you could insert the Midi effect “Midi gate” into the respective audio-channel. As midi source for the midi gate select the output of the track where you recorded your “one finger riythm”. You will most likely have to play around with your sound selection to create something reasonable - after all this is just a GATE effect that “opens” when midi input is received and closes when not. So percussive sounds will most likely not work too well.

I know it is not really the same as your orginial idea, but maybe a nice effect.

Ernst

Thanks both of you, well Now I know thats not that easy…

So well, it is currently not possible - but certainly a good idea to extend the composing functionality of cubase. So why not create a feature request/suggestion.

I’m still confused why this does not work? OP said they wanted to ‘record a midi rhythm and have the chords play it back’ - have i misinterpreted that? If so, then as I mentioned before, you drag n drop your midi pattern from the timeline into the chord pad trigger ‘import midi’ section and enable pattern playback in chords. Now every chord will play that pattern in the respective chord transposition.

Judging by whats written from Elien, They want the chords to change based on the rhythm/placement of chords played on the pattern - not just following the pattern. Which in my mind there would never be a perfect solution to that as there can be all kind of arpeggio parts to a pattern… At what point does the chord change?!

i.e. say they had chords C/G/F/Am - and the pattern had a chord change at Bar 1, 3, 5 and 7. They would want those changes to take place at those points in the timeline. i.e. so the pattern defines the chord timing, not chordpads (Which is barking up the wrong tree).

Which is why it’s far easier to just use chord track and stretch the chords out by hand as to what you want over the pattern that you’ve imported… Cause you’d have to fix any auto-detection even if it was possible. It’s really quite a simple process.

In fact, even simpler is to import the pattern in then scan it with chord track so the positioning/timing shows on chord track, and just change the chord track to be the chords which you want (Set original pattern to follow mode). Chord pads is not really even related to this requirement, as you’re defining the chord timing with a chord pad.

Right, skijumbpoes.

I also see that your suggested approach is fine. Would this approach allow to change the chord while the pattern is progressing (as opposed to starting the pattern with every new chord). I think that is what the difference would be finally.

OH WAIT AN MINUTE - I should have read your posting more accurately. You are of course right, the way aou suggest is indeed directly approaching the target of the OP. I was totally “blinded” by focussing on the chord pads - which is for sure not the best approach!

Thank you - I think the OP should try your approach!

I’m not sure if this will work for you, but here’s a possible other method for getting the sound your looking for. I sometimes do something like what I think you’re asking about with a Gate side-chained to the rhythmic source, or, you might also use the MIDI Gate plug-in.

So,

Idea A:

1. MIDI Track with Long Tones filling the entire bar or bars.

Go to Channel Strip and turn on the Gate
Side Chain the Gate to, say, a Drum track or other track that has the rhythm you want the chords to match.

1. Play Drum Track and track with Chords together.
  2. Adjust Gate on Channel strip to taste. This may take a little time adjusting the gate for the right rhythms.

Idea B:

1. Use the stock MIDI Gate Plug-in, which is a great way to pulse a rhythm. I love this plug-in.

For example, take a bass track that has a particular groove. Copy it and use that for the MIDI Gate to Gate the Chords. Now the chords match the bass’s rhythm.

Not sure if this helps but maybe it will.

You can drag and drop your midi that you made into the Player Setup window under Pattern and it will play that “beat”.