Chords not playing back Dorico 4 Pro

Thanks for the help

After looking for the Routing section of the inspector (did not find it), I decided to create a new project. Closing the existing project, I encountered a dialog box asking if I wanted to activate playback and checked that. Chords are no longer muted! I’m not sure what happened

I’m having this issue as well. Under the Chords routing, the dropdown box is blank but it won’t let me select anything. The gear and e buttons don’t seem to respond.
What am I missing? Everything else is playing back.

Is there really no documentation on Play mode or am I just not seeing it?

There is currently no documentation on Play mode in Dorico 4. Play mode has been rebuilt; the documentation hasn’t yet been.

Is it possible to set up the allocated chords channel as a separate slider on the Dorico mixer?

If you switch off the Unused filter in the Mixer toolbar, you’ll see all of the outputs from your VST instrument, including the one belonging to the output for the channel to which you have routed the chords track.

Thanks Daniel.
I found that I also needed to change the output of the chords instrument in the Halion mixer. … I had both channels selected to Main. Changing the chords to Out2 gave me separate sliders in the Dorico mixer.
(Looking forward to publication of the Play Mode documentation.)

I still can’t figure this out. The drop down won’t open to let me choose a routing.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do have anything loaded in the VST rack? By default it should show this…
rack1

If not. Reload the HSSE+HSO playback template.

Yes, I have that loaded:
HaLion shows up in the Inspector for every instrument except “Chords”.
Tried reloading the HSSE+HSO again, but no change.

Here’s what I have in the mixer:

OK. So click the Chord track to select it, then in the inspector click the Routing dropdown arrow, and then doubleclick the ‘—’ field. The dropdown should appear with 01 Dorico Bleep and 02 Halion sonic SE. Select 02. Finally choose an instrument slot in Halion for whatever you want to play the chords.

See, that’s the thing… I can choose something for any other track, but the Routing dropdown arrow won’t open for the Chord track.
Here’s a file in case it helps.
11May2022.dorico (1.0 MB)

Works without problem here…
11May2022-added chords.dorico (1.0 MB)
(I’ve added a piano in slot6 to play the chords)

Hm, so it does. Here’s what happens for me.

I also tried adding another VST library and got the same issue. So maybe there’s something off about my installation?

Perhaps send your diagnostics to @Ulf ?

I can’t think of a good explanation for this off the top of my head, but please do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file here so I can take a look and see if inspiration strikes.

1 Like

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.1 MB)

I made an interesting discovery. The dropdown menus in Play Mode will only open on my laptop monitor (normally I work on my external monitor).
When I have Dorico on the external monitor (Benq EW2740L, in case it matters), clicking on the drop down menu just makes the window bar blink, but the menu won’t open. I wondered if it had to do with maybe the menu opening somewhere off screen, but when I un-maximized Dorico, it was the same.
Once I move Dorico back to the laptop screen, it works as it should.

Right! Well done, you’ve identified the problem. Do your two displays by any chance have different pixel densities, resolutions or display scaling values? If so, that is very likely the reason for the issue: there is an underlying bug in the Qt application framework that Dorico uses that prevents these kinds of pop-ups from appearing on the secondary display.

Good to know. At least the workaround is simple :person_shrugging:
I don’t know anything about pixels/resolution/scaling , but the fact that they’re different sizes, made by different companies makes me think all of the above probably apply…