Clarify edit in place?

Edit in Place is really good.

I realise that implementing this is not such a straightforward business!
I was a bit confused by the icons appearing in the Hub and was trying to work out the rationale behind what was happening and which file versions the various icons represented.

It would seem that:

• The “in place” version has no hamburger (“Delete” “Rename”). This is the version I would be opening usually - providing I was online.

• A local version (with a hamburger). Seems to have been created when I first imported the iCloud-resident project. It remains at this original version - is not as up-to date necessarily as the “in place” version.

• An “Autosave” version (No preview icon; Dorico logo). In what circumstances would this version be different / the same as the “in place” version? Its time stamp is several minutes before the time stamp on the “in place” version as viewed in the Files app. Subsequent “in place” edits don’t update the time stamp. I couldn’t see any Preferences to give me any control over when these Autosave versions are created.

You shouldn’t see any auto-saved versions as separate entries in the Hub: auto-saved files are still tucked away in a secret location inside Dorico’s own local storage area, and won’t ever appear in the Hub. The only way I can think of that an auto-saved file could end up in the Hub is if you were offered to recover it, but then it got saved to the local app storage complete with its [AutoSave] filename suffix. You can probably safely delete it.

OK that’s good to know re Autosave files.

I have discovered that Edit in Place is a kind of Store and Forward service in that edits you make whilst offline (e.g. in the garden, on the train) are pushed to the cloud server when you re-connect to the interweb - at least that what happens with iCloud.

But … I can’t quite see the point of the local file version that was automatically created when I first imported the iCloud Dorico project file.