Clarify Full Install / Upgrade

I’ve just upgraded my Cubase 9 pro to Cubase Pro 9.5. Now I have two versions of Cubase on my PC, two program folders: one Cubase 9 and one Cubase 9.5 complete with desktop shortcuts and both work independatly. This is very confusing, I just wanted my version 9 to be written over with 9.5 and not have both installed making things messy and cluttered.

1. Have I done something wrong?
  2. Is it safe to delete Cubase 9 program?
  3. Why does the uninstaller show Cubase 9 as program size 1.13 gig and Cubase 9.5 as 681MB? (also confusing do they need both to work)?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Different Cubase versions are installed side by side, so you can continue your work with your previous version if a problem occurs while using the new version.

I strongly recommend you to keep Cubase 9 installed for at least a week or two. If you’re happy with how Cubase 9.5 works on your system, then you can safely uninstall Cubase 9 after that.

Ok that makes sense, but wouldn’t an option to keep exiting software or not during the installer have made more sense?

Also, how comes my plugins are kept all inside the Cubase 9/VSTPlugins, yet 9.5 pick them up! So if I uninstall 9 what happens to the plugins? again, a little messy.

thanks

I just explained why that’s a bad idea. You’re supposed to make sure that the new version works fine on your system before uninstalling the previous version.

Also, how comes my plugins are kept all inside the Cubase 9/VSTPlugins, yet 9.5 pick them up! So if I uninstall 9 what happens to the plugins? again, a little messy.

By default, the VST2 plugins are stored in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins . If they’re really in your Cubase 9 folder, you can just copy and paste that plugin folder elsewhere and add it as a plugin scan location.

thanks Romantique!