Clarinet in A (Beethoven Symphony No. 7)

I am practicing with Dorico by entering the first part of the first movement of Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7 In A. The score lists the clarinets in A with no key signature, but Dorico doesn’t appear to have a clarinet configured in that key for assignment to a player.

I’d prefer not to have to transpose in my head to enter the Dorico part correctly. I tend to get lost because I’m just not that good at it.

Googling “Dorico transpose instrument” has so far yielded nothing that suggests I can change the transposition of an assigned instrument. Is this not possible, or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.

Since the symphony is in A major, and the clarinets are also in A, the written key for the clarinet will be C major (no sharps or flats).

In Setup mode, after clicking on Clarinet you should see a menu to the right that will let you choose the appropriate transposition. I hope this helps!

In the Edit menu there are options for Concert pitch and Transposed pitch.

With Transposed pitch, entering a key signature of A major will show no sharps or flats for a Clarinet in A.

If you really want a “clarinet with no key signature” (which you probably don’t, for a Beethoven score) you can create an open (or atonal) key signature. Press shift-K to get the key signature popover, then type “open” (without the quotes) in the box. The default key signature for a new score in Dorico is “open”, which might have confused you - if the default had been “C major”, your clarinet in A would have had a key signature of 3 flats in a transposed pitch score.

Uh, I must have been sleepwalking yesterday afternoon. I don’t know how I didn’t see that option when I specifically looked for it.

Thanks a bunch, Stephen.

Today I’m going to apply for the cast of Walking Dead.

DaddyO,

Maybe you missed it because it was simply “a clarinet” :laughing: :wink: