Clarinets in Bb 1-2 instead of Clarinets 1-2 in Bb

Hello. I’m a brand new Dorico 4 Pro user transitioning from MuseScore. When in Setup mode, I know I can change my instrument names, but for something like Clarinets in Bb 1-2, Dorico outputs the following:

Clarinets 1-2 in Bb

Note: I’m not trying to setup up two parts and condense, just trying to get “Clarinets in Bb 1-2” to display. The only way I can see thus far is to artificially write in the Bb (as cap. B, lower B) and turn off key display. There has to be a better way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you and

Regards,

David

Was it an XML import? Dorico’s default is formatted as you want. There is an option to control this Layout Options > Staves and Systems: Show instrument number before transposition.

1 Like

If you use 2 clarinets and condense, Dorico will do this automatically:
condensing

In Engraving Options/Staff Labels, using Stack Horizontally can do something like this (still using Condensing though)

If you want to manually configure the staff and not use Condensing, you can type in the staff name yourself. Don’t use “cap. B, lower B” though. You can copy and paste the flat glyph from the SMuFL site, and change the character style to Music Text. You’ll need to manually tweak the vertical positioning a bit though, but it’s still pretty easy to get this:
manual

(and welcome to the forum!)

1 Like

Hi lads. Thank you for the responses; much appreciated.

@Craig_F Thank you. I’ve made a note of that setting. Dorico has So. Many. Settings.! :slight_smile:

@FredGUnn I played around with condensing a bit last night. It’s easier to use than I thought, so I think I will go that route and stop being so lazy. :slight_smile:

Regards,

David

1 Like

Once it comes to dealing with separate printed parts for the players, using Condensing really ought to feel like the lazy approach :wink:

1 Like

Just be aware that condensing can seriously slow down Dorico (because its doing loads of calculations every time you make a change).

My general advice would be to turn it off until you have entered all your notes, dynamics, articulations and playing techniques. Only turn it on when you are working on final layout, at which point it is genius!

1 Like