classical guitar missing upstroke downstroke next to notes, dotted slur lines, and Rasgueado

Hi,
thanks for implementing the classical guitar notation. I need to second the other users, that barrée fingering is an essential guitar notation. I hope it will be implemented soon in a smoother way.

Other than that I like the new feature but I can`t find a way to assign arrows for downstroke/upstroke next to the chords/arpeggios. I´ve found Strum up / Strum down, but placing it on top of the lines is not suitable for classical guitar. Also plucking and stroking can be combined in a chord… Hard to notate this with the arrows above the lines. Are there plans to enable the arrow sign to be right next to the notes?

Also I am wondering how I can add dotted slur lines in addition to legato lines, or in other words how can I distinguish between the two in Dorico? I`ve found Pull Off and Hammer On, but P/H is not working in classical guitar notation!

Also R for Rasgueado should be added to the Playing Techniques feature please. “R” above the lines similar to the other playing techniques would do the trick.

And one more question. Is it possible to add a single percussion note in the guitar score?

Apologies for so many questions… Any advice is much appreciated. If needed I can also provide examples for the mentioned use cases.

Best,
Gabi

Welcome to the forum, Gabi.

Are you looking for the arpeggiate up/down options, as found in the Ornaments section of the right panel (or by typing Shift-O arpup or arpdown)? Or perhaps the vertical lines (in the Lines section of the right panel) would suffice. Note that if you need a down arrow, you can use an up arrow and then hit F (for flip) or use the Reverse property.

Also I am wondering how I can add dotted slur lines in addition to legato lines, or in other words how can I distinguish between the two in Dorico?

Add a normal slur, then, with it still selected, use the “Style” property in the bottom panel.

Also R for Rasgueado should be added to the Playing Techniques feature please. “R” above the lines similar to the other playing techniques would do the trick.

The Playing Techniques section has a plus button and a pencil button at the bottom of each section. Use either of those to get you into the Playing Techniques Editor (you can also access it from Engrave > Playing Techniques…) and then add as many custom Playing Techniques as you like. If you use the Star icon at the bottom of the editor, the playing technique will be saved as default so it’ll automatically appear in all of your other projects.

And one more question. Is it possible to add a single percussion note in the guitar score?

Yes, there are a few ways.

1. If the percussion note is played by someone else, and is notated on a different player, you can use a Cue in the guitar part (Shift-U then use the drop down to select the correct player).
  2. If you want to do it “properly”, assign a percussion instrument to the guitar player, then add the percussion note in Galley View - Dorico will automatically handle the instrument change.
  3. The quick way to add a single percussion note - though it won’t play back correctly unless you assign it to a different voice and use independent voice playback - is to add a regular note, then right-click and go Notehead > Whatever. Add some Shift-X text to explain to the guitarist how the note should be played.

Apologies for so many questions… Any advice is much appreciated. If needed I can also provide examples for the mentioned use cases.

Best,
Gabi
[/quote]

Are you looking for the arpeggiate up/down options, as found in the Ornaments section of the right panel (or by typing Shift-O arpup or arpdown)? Or perhaps the vertical lines (in the Lines section of the right panel) would suffice. Note that if you need a down arrow, you can use an up arrow and then hit F (for flip) or use the Reverse property.

Indeed those arrows to the trick, thanks! But using F for flip is not working for them. The Reverse option is working fine, though.

Add a normal slur, then, with it still selected, use the “Style” property in the bottom panel.

Great! Works fine, cause I can use two slurs at once!

The Playing Techniques section has a plus button and a pencil button at the bottom of each section. Use either of those to get you into the Playing Techniques Editor (you can also access it from Engrave > Playing Techniques…) and then add as many custom Playing Techniques as you like. If you use the Star icon at the bottom of the editor, the playing technique will be saved as default so it’ll automatically appear in all of your other projects.

I see. I do have Elements only for now, so this will have to wait, but good to know this is possible.

The percussion note worked well, thanks!

Best,
Gabi