classical guitar recording

Hi guys.
I would like to know which method you use to record a classical guitar with cubase.
I usually put two directional microphones to about 40 cm from the hole of the guitar, but the result I get is poor in quality and volume of the recording.
I do not use effects and compressors during recording, but only after.
anyone can give me any advice on this?
Thank in advance.

Way to close, what microphones/pre-amp

Put the mic’s where it sounds good to the ear first.

Is this just pure classical guitar recording.

Acoustic space is very important too.

Yes, perhaps it’s better to go to a single forum.
I have used different brands of microphones, good and bad, but the quality remains low.
I don’t use pre and and I tried to record in different spaces.
I tried to increase the gain (in audio menu) of the audio track and this is the only way to get a level acceptable, but quality…

How can you use a microphone without a preamp?

For classical guitar in a good acoustical environment, a stereo-setup might also work well (get some room in there), but I cannot see how you can record without a preamp.

Recording is an art and you will probably be not so successful by just asking some short questions and getting some short answers. There are too many variables in this case, some of them being in the answers you got, but there are more.
You´d probably learn the most if you went to a (semi-)professional studio once, to someone who has experience with this kind of recording and keep your eyes and ears wide open. And ask a lot of questions there
I hope this non-immediate-results answer helps you nevertheless

Please clarify. Brands/models of both “good” and “bad” microphones. Some people would describe my #1 microphone for this application (Earthworks QTC) as “bad” and others would say my #2 (RØDE NT5) is “good”.

Please clarify “low quality”. Hiss? Distortion? Bad frequency response (in which way)? Something else?

Yes you do. It may be integrated into your audio interface, in which case it would be nice to know which one you’re using.

Which kind of spaces? Abbey Road Studio One? Other professional studio? Your garage? Your bedroom?

Audio menu of which software? If you’re talking about Audio | Process | Gain menu of Cubase, this is NOT the place to set your recording level. It should be set at your preamp/audio interface.

yes, sorry for the lack information.
I’ve used microphones Shure SM 137 and SM 94, Samson C02, Apex 430.
I use a Tascam 488 interface.
Space is that of my little studio 4 x 4.5 m.
When I speak of gain is the one that can be increased by increasing the amplitude of the recorded track using the menus - AUDIO/Process/Gain in Cubase 5.5.3.
As for the quality, I mean that the sound of my classic is too rich of midtones, bass shallow and a few sharp, even with the EQ that comes with Cubase.

The SM137 would be my first choice, being relatively flat response small diaphragm condenser.

The SM94 being omni directional will pick up a lot of room and the other two are probably my last choice.

Now, room size!!! your 4 x 4.5 Meter room is probably a lot of the problem, you need to get out that space into a bigger space, pull the mic back and turn up the pre amp gain (on the interface)

Your room is going to sound boxy, ie too middy and suffer from major low frequency abnormalities.

If you have to use that room, the only thing you can do is to put up as much acoustic treatment as possible, basically to kill the reflections and nodes, particularly in the low mid and bass regions. Far better to use a different room.

Stick with the room you have, is my advice. Close mic the guitar, and even if it’s far from ideal, a satisfactory result should be totally possible. Experiment with mic positioning over and over again! Not just distance, but placement with reference to the guitar sound hole, and angle towards that (from below or above, for instance). Tell your player to sit still as much as possible, cause a slight turn can totally change your sound. That should give you something to work with… :sunglasses:

And, ofcourse, pick the best mic available to you (cardioid small diaphraghm), and get your levels figured out to start with.

I go with Arjan in this case though Split’s is probably a more technically ideal proposition.
It is also notoriously difficult to keep acoustic players still so you get the level consistency.
If there is a room off and the noise is not a problem then you could also open the door and place a mic at the door or in the other space to record as well as the close mic and mix and match or balance the two. Though pay attention to phasing.

Question number one: Does the guitar sound good when listening to it directly?

The larger the room and the futher away you mic the less player movement alters tone, the less finger and player body noise you get and the less of a boxy tone problem.
So yo need a good sounding larger space usually called a recording studio.
Hippo

Yeah, maybe we all best quit our hobbies and start saving up for the pros. [/sarcasm off]

A studio can be anything, a custom room or just a larger room or rooms. Led Zep recorded in a milking shed and The Stones would put the drums under the stairs. Just what Hippo said “A good sounding larger space”.
Maybe the pros should start building studios with egg boxes just like the ams. (sarcasm definitely on) :laughing:
This forum just gets funnier.

Also… :laughing:

The further away you have the mic/s, the more gain you need thus the quieter the self mic noise, pre amp noise and background room noise noise needs to be :stuck_out_tongue:

Good room, well positioned guitar, mics, good pre’s, good guitar, good player, you can’t go wrong :mrgreen:

But hey, that’s what I’d do if realism is what you are after.

As the say in Fauldhouse (Fauldhouse - Wikipedia)

A hard things no easy :mrgreen:

Question number one: Does the guitar sound good when listening to it directly?

Naturally. Guitar has a great sound.

Yeah, maybe we all best quit our hobbies and start saving up for the pros. [/sarcasm off]

A studio can be anything, a custom room or just a larger room or rooms. Led Zep recorded in a milking shed and The Stones would put the drums under the stairs. Just what Hippo said “A good sounding larger space”.
Maybe the pros should start building studios with egg boxes just like the ams. (sarcasm definitely on) > :laughing:
This forum just gets funnier.

Yeah, I think so :wink:

Well, you asked…

Good room, well positioned guitar, mics, good pre’s, good guitar, good player, you can’t go wrong

this is what I try to do, as you say, a hard things no easy.

Than you guys.
All the best.