'cleanup' not working

I’m trying to figure out how to do things ‘the Cubase way’ wrt managing audio files/folders.

I think what I want to do is normally let it use a somewhat general project folder where a bunch of random stuff can be expected to accumulate. Then, when I get something I want to save, I can back up the project to somewhere outside of ‘Cubase Projects’ and delete the original .cpr file that’s in the ‘Untitled x’ directory.

Then when I run ‘cleanup’ on the ‘Cubase Projects’ directory, I would expect it to delete any audio files that were part of that project (or any other project that was backed up and moved away; its original .cpr having been deleted).

The problem is that it’s not finding any ‘unused’ files even though there are ‘Cubase Projects\Untitled x\Audio\filename.wav’ files that are not used by any project within the ‘Cubase Projects’ hierarchy.

One of the introductory tutorial videos gives a very good explanation of project organization and file structure. Please check that out. :wink:
Your current method is just going to become chaotic with time. You say “I’m trying to figure out how to do things ‘the Cubase way’ wrt managing audio files/folders.”, but then go ahead with a preconceived notion of how you think it should work. That it’s not working for you should be a clue. Again, watch those intro tutorials.

I don’t think I’ll ever use the “cleanup” feature. For me, once I’ve my several versions, often moving the whole project to new folders, etc, I just can’t trust an app to go through and start deleting files.

Since Cubase puts everything in one folder, as long as you’ve used the Backup Project command (choosing to remove unused media) and copied the project to its final resting place, you can simply manually delete any previous project folders safely.

That sounds helpful, could you point me toward that video? I looked through the twelve ‘Cubase 8 Quick Start Videos’ and only caught a couple of passing references to project folder related stuff.

Your current method is just going to become chaotic with time. You say “I’m trying to figure out how to do things ‘the Cubase way’ wrt managing audio files/folders.”, but then go ahead with a preconceived notion of how you think it should work. That it’s not working for you should be a clue. Again, watch those intro tutorials.

I’ve already put aside my preconceived notion. What I really want is a ‘Save Project As’ or ‘Move Project Folder’ function that would move everything to one specified location (while moving - not copying - the audio). :wink: Maybe the original post sounds like a workaround because I’m already not doing what would seem natural.

They way I see it now, everything works well only if you specify a meaningfully named project folder before you record any audio.

I think the problem that comes up is when one starts recording with a template (project folder ‘Untitled 22’ or whatever default) and then wants to save that as the new ‘My New Hit Song’ project.

You don’t want to save the .cpr file in the ‘Untitled 22’ folder and have to go find it there later, so you save it as ‘…\Cubase Projects\My Songs\My New Hit Song.cpr’.

Then later you decide it’s no good and want to delete it. You can delete the .cpr file but those audio files are still there. Eventually your hard drive’s full and you start looking for stuff to delete and you don’t know which of the ‘Untitled xx’ directories contain still valid stuff, and which are junk.

If you had the self contained ‘My Hit Song’ folder that would be no problem (just delete the folder). The next best thing would be if ‘Cleanup’ searched a directory hierarchy recursively and deleted any audio files not referenced by any .cpr files in that directory structure (I thought that’s what it did.)

Maybe the thing to do is just go in after and manually rename the project folder to the song name. That’s awkward, but it does solve the problem; or I could do what it sounds like enjneer is doing; back up everything useful and consider everything left in the default directory junk.

To clean up the .wav files in the audio dir you could drag them all into the pool then run clean-up. I.e. it only looks for audio files which are in the pool but not used in the project timeline, not ones that are only on the disk.

I’ve always had this idea that they should implement a ‘big red button’ maybe on the hub which simply records everything coming in, midi and audio, and presents an open project of what you’ve recorded which you can then ‘save as’ to put somewhere when you’re happy. [and the save as would create a new dir with the same name as the project!!!].

Actually, some colour coding in the pool would really help when trying to move projects around, e.g. green for ‘in the project dir’ and red for ‘not in the project dir’.

Mike.

I’ve already put aside my preconceived notion. What I really want is a ‘Save Project As’ or ‘Move Project Folder’ function that would move everything to one specified location (while moving - not copying - the audio). > :wink: > Maybe the original post sounds like a workaround because I’m already not doing what would seem natural.

They way I see it now, everything works well only if you specify a meaningfully named project folder before you record any audio.

I think the problem that comes up is when one starts recording with a template (project folder ‘Untitled 22’ or whatever default) and then wants to save that as the new ‘My New Hit Song’ project.

You don’t want to save the .cpr file in the ‘Untitled 22’ folder and have to go find it there later, so you save it as ‘…\Cubase Projects\My Songs\My New Hit Song.cpr’.

Then later you decide it’s no good and want to delete it. You can delete the .cpr file but those audio files are still there. Eventually your hard drive’s full and you start looking for stuff to delete and you don’t know which of the ‘Untitled xx’ directories contain still valid stuff, and which are junk.

If you had the self contained ‘My Hit Song’ folder that would be no problem (just delete the folder). The next best thing would be if ‘Cleanup’ searched a directory hierarchy recursively and deleted any audio files not referenced by any .cpr files in that directory structure (I thought that’s what it did.)

Maybe the thing to do is just go in after and manually rename the project folder to the song name. That’s awkward, but it does solve the problem; or I could do what it sounds like enjneer is doing; back up everything useful and consider everything left in the default directory junk.

It seems to me you get all the functionality you want if you simply do not use the default “Untitled 22” system at all. Change to always making a named folder. That way, first off, you know what the song is! Lol.

There have been times where the New Projects dialog reset itself to create projects in the default location, and a new project got created in one of those Untitled folders for me. I then had to go hunting through the untitleds to find the project.

Yes, Cubase doesn’t have a Move Project Folder function. That would actually be neat! But, until then, everything is in one, named folder. Moving the folder is one cut & paste away! :wink:

If you change from the default folder method and create a named folder, you’ll be sailing.

Same problem i faced.But after that when i using krojam cleaner.It give better result.I can recover this problem.

A dedicated folder for each song is a must if you want to be shure you don’t mes up your recordings. It’s is not a Cubase thing, it’s how computers work. As long as you keep files that relate to each other in one place (folder) you can move , rename and reorganize these folders without problems. Cubase tries to do this for you; the project folder.

backup project is the way, i’ve never used “cleanup”. suppose you recorded 5 songs on the timeline, and want to put them each in their own project folder for mixing and editing.

Open the project, delete all but the first song from the timeline. do a “backup project” for this song to a new folder, with the options set to only include used files. close the multisong project without saving (this is important) and re open.

now do the same for the other songs. ( delete everything from the timeline but the song you want to backup as a new song) and so on…

if you mistakenly recorded muliple projects in the wrong project folder, or did not “organize” things the way you should, the above method can be used to solve these problems.
I remember doing this once for a friend who had recorded everything in one project for at least 2 years…

open each last version of a song you want to keep (remove unused audio from the pool, but don’t erase, because this could be audio from other songs if you messed things up) and do a " backup project". Also don’t delete (or move, rename!) the original project folder before you are done, esspecialy if you saved the .cpr files out of this folder.

Personaly I tend to not rename or move junk folders like this until I’m absolutely shure everything is ok. (i.e have finished the album) disk space is cheap. loosing recordings is hell.

it is also a good way for creating a new song with settings like the song you just opened: delete everything in the timeline, don’t save but do a backup project to a new folder…voila. a new empty song in a new folder with the exact settings of the first song.