Clef and Transposition Overrides

If anyone can give me any help on this, I’d be most grateful.

Background: I was hoping that the new Clef and Transposition Overrides might help me finally achieve something I’ve been aiming for for a while: using the “Voice” Instrument (treble clef) to accommodate a range of voices - as is the case with conventional Piano/Vocal sheet music. I’m specifically looking at the Voice being either a Soprano, a Tenor or a Classical Guitar (I use the latter for an Instrumental take).

Soprano is obviously not a problem, but I’m struggling to get what I want with Tenor and Guitar and I suspect I’m misunderstanding the purpose of the overrides and their use with transposing instruments.

I would like

(Tenor)
A note played as F4, sounding as F3 and written as F4 on a treble clef
- At the moment it’s sounding as F4

(Guitar)
A note played as F4, sounding as F4 and written as F4 on a treble clef.
- At the moment it’s being written as F5

I’m looking at Concert Pitch. Can I do this with the new Overrides?

There’s a global notation option which allows you to set octave-transposing clefs in one of their two meanings.

If you want to use these two variations in the same project, I think it becomes tricky. One has to remember, that at another stage, transpositions can occur: sampling the sounds for playback. So, even while dorico sending a written f4 to the playback engine, in the VST it can be played back as an F3, as the VST gives out samples an octave lower than it receives (because of idiomaticity of these instruments).

So my suggestion is: set the notation option as you prefer and then work in the expression maps to have the result you need in sounding. (or, if possible, directly in the VST)

Thanks klafkid - appreciated. I wasn’t aware of the Notataion Option which I’ll take a look at.

Previously, I’ve used VST settings to settle octave playback issues - I can’t recall doing it with expression maps. In this particular case that’s not an option as I’m using Note Performer for the voices.

Bottom line: I am aware there are ways to achieve what I want - I was wondering whether the new overrides might provide a faster way to achieve it.

Yes, I am usually using Noteperformer as well and I usually then went into the expression map to fix it. It is dirty, and I didn’t like it, but it’s doable…

Sorry I didn’t fully understand your question, I think.
You can of course notate for example the tenor in the F3-Range, and as you described it should sound as an F3. Then, in Setup Mode, you can transpose the part (and I think even in the score the appropriate instrument) up by 12 semitones in notation, it shouldn’t affect the playback.