Clicks and distortion during studio monitoring

Hello guys :slight_smile:

I’m an audio newbie and I need some guidance. What’s happening is I will go into the Loop Browser and preview samples. They sound fine at first, but after playing more and more I will start to hear a weird sort of feedback…it sounds like static clicks and loud popping sounds, and these often continue even after the sample is done playing. I’ve noticed this distortion in other areas of the program, such as some of the synthesizers, but nowhere near as bad as Loop Browser for some reason.

My audio setup is an M-Audio sound card. It has this horsetail coming out of it with female 6.35 mm TRS connectors. I put these little plugs to convert them to RCA and then I run the RCA cable to a Pioneer VSX-520 receiver.

But if I tell Cubase to monitor using my wireless headphones instead…I don’t hear this kind of distortion. As far as my loudspeakers, they are working fine with other programs–sound great always.

At this point, I’m just not sure if some setting is wrong in VST connections or Device Setup? Or if my choice of cables is wrong…maybe I should use an optical cable?

Maybe one of you audiophiles can point out the problem. Thanks!

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5 gHz
RAM: 4.00 GB
Audio card: M-Audio Audiophile 192
Audio card drivers: Windows 7 64-bit
Software: Cubase 6 64-bit

Hey!
have you checked to see if you you are using the correct ASIO driver for your interface?

check in 'devices/device setup/vst audio system. yours should be something like ‘maudio audiophile 192 ASIO’ and set your latency to about 128 samples and see where you go from there… if you are still getting clicks etc try raising your latency… shouldn’t be an issue with that card though.

Yep that was it :frowning:

thanks! Sounds perfect now… :smiley: