Clicks on mic recording at low latency

I have been getting clicks when recording through the mic channel at low latency settings. The clicks are recorded to the track itself which makes the recording unusable. The only way around I’ve found is to increase the latency settings to around 512ms which makes the latency very unpleasant when tracking vocals. Direct monitoring is fine but it means I can’t have the the project playing whilst for the performer to sync their performance.

I have a high-end PC running Cubase Elements 9.5 on Windows 10. My audio interface is the Steinberg UR 22 MK II.

I am at a loss at the moment and tearing my hair out. Please help!

Could you post your computer specs?

As to not being able to monitor the performance while recording, this doesn’t seem right. If you click on the Speaker icon located on the vocal channel (bottom on the fader area, to the left) you will find it. Make sure it is greyed out, not orange in color. There used to be a ‘Tape Recorder Style’ recording method option in Cubase but it has gone away. The Speaker icon on the mixer seems the ticket

Trust me, I have a fast machine and I have to run at 256 which leaves me with 5.33ms latency which is enough to kill the vibe - so running Direct is definitely the Way. Good luck.