Clip Effect Wet Envelope

I’m a little confused by the clip effect wet envelope, and the explanation in the Help menu. Does it do anything from 0db to minus infinity, because it doesn’t seem to have any effect in that range here. Is +6db fully effect “on” and 0db fully effect off? That’s the only conclusion I could come to, but that doesn’t seem to be what the Help menu says.

I don’t have an answer but I do agree this is confusing.

I was expecting a percentage reading when I first tried it.

The dB value is simply the gain of the wet signal. 0 dB means the wet signal is fully mixed.

Is there any difference between setting the envelope at 0db or minus infinity? I couldn’t tell the difference. I’ll test it more later, but if they’re no different it’s really confusing to have that whole range from 0db to minus infinity selectable and modifiable with points, without having it change anything.

Minus infinite means no wet signal… hence yes there is a difference. Which plugin?

Really sorry, you’re right PG. I don’t know what I was doing before. Minus infinity is like bypassing the plugin. +6 is like using the plugin in standard Insert mode. 0 is in between.

+6 is like using the plugin in standard Insert mode. 0 is in between.

No. 0 is like using the plugin in standard Insert mode. +6 is to increase the effect part.

That’s not the result I get with file compares. I get the same result as Standard Insert by setting the effect envelope to +6, and only then.

Unless I did that wrong too, but I don’t think I did.

I just tried it again, and get the same results.

Hum… you are right. I have to fix that.

I personally think it’s fine as is, but could just use a percentage display as Justin suggested. I don’t know why anyone would need a plugin more than 100% wet. Do other programs do that, more than 100%?

+1 I agree, a percentage is what everyone is used to, dBs are unnecessarily technical IMO.

“dBs are unnecessarily technical” in a high-end audio mastering application? Really? For a start, what units are used on every sound-level meter in existence (except BBC PPMS :wink: )?

Paul

Yeah, really. Sound level, headroom, loudness, sure they should be expressed in dBs. But those are not quite the same type of value as effect level, where every instance of dry/wet ratio I know of is in percentages. So yeah, for that particular use I find dBs unnecessarily technical.