Clip gain with range tool?

Trying to make a macro. I’d like to be able to select a range of 2 different audio tracks with the Range Selection Tool. Run the “Split Range” command, then lower the clip gain of the two events of audio I just split from the main audio tracks.

However, I can’t figure out how to accomplish this without going back to the Object Selection Tool to select the two events of audio, thus I cant’ make a macro for this. So what I’d like to do in the macro after I’ve selected a range is:

1. Edit - Split Range
  2. Select Audio just split from Range*
  3. Audio - Decrement Event Volume (x4)
  • 2 is what I can’t figure out. Any ideas?

I don’t think it’s possible

maybe a solution:
you can use key commands, e.g. “increase/decrease event volume” for this.

You sure can. I have a couple of such macros programmed in my Slate Raven, but I think it should work within Nuendo as well. The trick is to switch to ‘Auto select events under cursor’ momentarily, switch to the selection tool and then have the the cursor move forward a bit so the clip gets selected.

I even have a macro that cuts two clips according to the range selected, creates 4 crossfades and then raises the volume of the top one and lowers the volume of the lower one. All with one command.

Try and see if you can get it to work. If you need any more help, let me know.

Marty.

I was going to say something similar…back in '07/08, when I was the post production sound on a reality show I had a couple of range-based macros that would lower clip gain by pre-determined amounts-- but I haven’t used them in years and now don’t know where to find’em. Yeah, I know. Very helpful.

On the other hand, I don’t think they would have worked on multiple tracks at once. On the other other hand, never tried them in that context…

But the bottom line is “#2” above is definitely doable. I don’t think mine worked exactly as Martin’s does, which suggests that there’s more than one way to skin this cat. Wish I could be more specific.

Chewy

Thanks for the tips. I’ll give it a try and report back.

Got it to work! Thanks so much for the help thinking outside the box. Had to play around with the order a bit but here is the macro.

Edit - split range
Preferences - Editing - Auto Select Events under Cursor
Tool - Select Tool
Transport - To Left Locator
Audio - Decrement Event Volume
Audio - Crossfade
Preferences - Editing - Auto Select Events under Cursor

You’re welcome. Glad you got it to work!

Easiest way to do this (and other functions) is to use the range tool to select an unimportant area of any file and then affect the range with any offline functions you choose, obviously including Clip Gain, etc.

Then select Offline Process History and Create Macro from… Assign a Key Command to the Macro you just created and you’re done. I have a number of these. You can get complex if you like, including processing any plugins you care to, then create a Macro from that chain.

My version of clip gain actually has adjacent keys assigned to a +3dB version and - 3dB version Macro. Super fast to do things like hand de-essing vox or ???

Cubase does not have this function (or at least did not last I checked), and this function alone is worth the price difference to me, personally.

P.S. Not in front of Nuendo currently so this is from memory on the function names. If it’s not clear I will repost if needed. Just ask.

Holy cow. All these years of using Nuendo and I never figured out that you could make a macro from offline process history.

Months of pounding my head against the desk that could have been spent playing Words With Friends.

Thanks for the hot tip!

Chewy