Clip Name Display Question

I know it’s been discussed before but when you replace a clip in the montage with a new file, what determines if you see the updated file name, or if the original file name is displayed on the actual clip?

I just replaced a number of clips in a montage with files that had the same name but with _RX at the end, and some of the names were updated on the clip waveform and some were not.

I wish that the display on the clip waveform was always updated with the file name to be sure you have the correct version loaded into the montage such as _RX or _V2 _V3 etc.

I’m guessing that if you don’t edit the original clip length, the new name is shown when you replace the clip, but if you’ve edited the clip length, the name remains the same.

I don’t really see the logic there if that’s the case.

The rule is this one:

• If a clip has a name which is the same as the audio file it hosts, then changing the audio file, changes the clip name too.
  • If a clip has a name which is not same as the audio file it hosts, then changing the audio file, preserves the clip name.

The idea is: “if the clip name was edited by the user, then it should be preserved”.

This is how it should work, else there is a bug…

Thanks for the info. I usually never change the clip names, only the marker names. I’ll do some deeper checking to see what’s going on.