Clipgain in Wavelab?

Hello, I’m absolutely new to Wavelab (although I’ve been using Cubase for years - YAY!). My first assignment is to import a single audio file and clean it up; that is, zoom in on loud peaks/transients and esss and lower them. Essentially, I’m hoping for a simple, elegant process that you see in ProTools: clipgain. I want to highlight just a certain part of the waveform and bring it down. Unfortunately, most audio editors require writing in 4 dots and so forth. Is this possible with Wavelab? Thanks!

There are various way of editing levels. Just drag and drop the audio file onto WaveLab, and use this function for gain. Or if you want to apply plugin processing on selected ranges, see the second picture.

Consider using the audio montage which in my opinion provides more options and flexibility.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. Let me dig in a bit even further and see how it goes for me. Just to reiteraite: I’m looking for an efficent and effective way to really zoom in, almost like surgery, to a single waveform level if required. The goal is to quickly zoom in to a peak, for example, highlight the area, have the two sides split, and then lower (or raise) as desired. Many editors have shown themselves to be a bit cumbersome in carrying out this series of steps. Performing the process on just a handful of targeted areas is fine, until you have have to go through multiple audio tracks from start to end for an entire song. I know, sometimes I get too detailed for my own good, but that’s what I’m hoping to find. Cheers!

If working in a Montage as Justin say, then making clips
and adjust levels is easy, if more adjustments is needed
just double-click on clip and open in Audio Editor…

regards S-EH

The audio editor might be more accurate if you need to do a micro-edit. The audio montage works before for larger clips.

While you can adjust the overall clip gain in the Clips Tab of the Audio Montage either pre or post Clip Effects, I also find it pretty fast/easy to adjust certain sections of audio using the volume envelope. No need to split or cut anything, and it’s all non-destructive:

1 Like