Coda gaps and systemic barline

I was just trying to indicate the ambitus at the beginning of the score (which is rather important playing carillon, since they all have a different ambitus, from 1.5 up to 6 octaves).
Did this with the Ambitus font, definitions in the “other info” field, the token for that, and an paragraph definition, which I could get to work.
But now suddenly there is the 5.1.3 update with the Coda, and Systemic barline which should make this more easier, according to the example by @benwiggy
I am almost there, but am stuck at the last bit!
I would like to get rid of the double barline and I would like to have the clefs a little bit smaller, but I cannot find out how?

Dorico doesn’t normally create a double barline before a coda – you should be able to select the double barline and simply delete it, to revert back to a standard barline?

For the smaller clefs, you could prompt Dorico to use a clef change (mid-flow clef changes are scaled down) by adding the range notes a fraction into the flow (like after a quaver) and add clefs there, whilst making the clefs at the very beginning of the flow “invisible”. This will make the note spacing wonky, but you should be able to use the note spacing tools to nudge everything up?

Thanks for the suggestions, but it does not work out completely and as easy as I hoped for! I can change the barline to a single one, but I cannot delete it, if I delete it the 2/2 time signature also disappears…
And I really want to have no barline at all, and not only the clefs smaller, but also the staves. I think that for the time being I go for my solution with the Ambitus font and tokens in a separate text window and the paragraph style, looks good to my eyes, and once you have figured out whic string to use it is rather easy to implement.

As ever, we really need an example document to see what’s going on.

If you do not require dashed barlines in the project, you can set the line length in the engraving options to 0 and use a dashed barline.

BWV995 Coda.dorico (1.5 MB)
BWV995 Ambitus.dorico (1.5 MB)
Here are the two attempts, the one called Ambitus is done with the Ambitus font and tokens, the one called Coda is done with, surprise!, the Coda method as described in the document.
I now saw that at first I did something wrong, I put the system break at the wrong point, now (as you can see) it works better, but not 100%, I cannot select anymore the original clefs in the front, so I cannot hide or delete them.
But as explained in my last post, I think it too much hassle, the Ambitus method is much simpeler and quicker!, and I like the capability to have it grey and smaller.
(BTW this is originally a Musescore project, which I am now translating to Dorico, so not nearly finished re layout etc!)

Or use a tick barline, and adjust the tick length for an individual barline using the available properties.

@JeroenH if you also want these staves to be smaller, it could be that actually what you want to do is use a separate flow for just the range, and draw that in using a separate music frame. You can change the size of those staves independently of what follows, then, because the right-click staff size menu sets sizes for that player in the selected flow.

1 Like

Hi Lillie, yes that could also be a solution, had not thought of that, thanks!
So now have three possible approaches, for a very little problem :grinning:
Another one I thought of was making a few snippets in PNG format, as a small library of compasses, and put them in where I want/need them. Will cook up something!

If you can create these snippets in Dorico, I would recommend exporting them as vector graphics rather than PNG, for maximum flexibility on their usage (as vector graphics scale more smoothly).

Yes offcourse!

Hi everyone, is there any way to hide what is circled in red or do I have to continue using the Ambitus font?

This might be where it starts to be a viable idea to put the ambitus in a separate flow, to which you can only assign the two voices, but without assigning the piano to that flow.

An additional benefit of this method would be that your main music begins at bar 1 automatically.

You can then draw music frames such that the ambitus flow’s frame goes next to a frame for the main flow.

In order to get the indent, you could either keep the main flow’s music frame full width and use note spacing to move the left of the first system to the right, or draw the main flow using separate frames on that first page, which would allow you to shape the first system’s frame such that it starts to the right of the ambitus frame.