Coda sign as text cue

I have a question.
As I do mostly musical theatre work, I’m constantly in the situation to put some text cues in the piano reduction or the full score. They mark when the song should start or a Vamp hast to be left.
Its pretty common to mark these text cues with a coda sign.
In Sibelius it wasn’t super elegant to do this, but I could handle it, because you could use any symbols, without doing any harm, pretty much as you liked. Now I have the problem, that Dorico treats my coda signs as what they should be in the first place: Part of the repeat structure.
So I tried to create a symbol that looks like a coda sign, without the functionality in the repeat structure and only appearing in staves I write it above… and until now I failed.
I hope I could make my problem clear (sorry for my bad English).
You find an example of what I try to create attached.
Best regards,
Stephan

Google “SMuFL glyph,” which will take you to the SMuFL site, which shows you the list of available glyphs. You can find the coda symbol and copy it, then paste it in as text. Make sure your font is set to “Bravura Text.”

You will also have to fiddle with size and baseline shift. It’s best to create a Character Style that fits exactly what you want for the symbol so you don’t have to make those little changes every time.

Thanks!

You could also save it as an SVG graphic and import it, which should mean resizing it is easier.

I don’t think that’s easier TBH. You can select text and resize using hotkeys. Or as I said, a Character style is best.

If it’s an image, you have all sorts of nudging and aligning to do.

Once you get this working, could you post a sample image? I’ve not seen this used before (not that I would have reason to) and would like to see an authoritative example of how one uses the Coda sign/text cue in a musical theater score. Thanks.

There’s a pic in the original post.

Just tried it - you’re right.

Whoops! :blush:

Not sure how I missed that. It is not at all what I expected. I thought the Coda sign might be placed at a precise musical location to show where within a song the text applied and was surprised I had never seen it used thus.

Now I know.
Thanks.

@dankreider: Thanks a lot! I just implemented it to the project I’m working on and it works just fine.
Best,
Stephan