Coloring a chain of ties

Apologies in advance, if the subject has been already covered (I couldn’t find any relevant thread).

When I select a chain of ties and apply specific color, only the very first notehead gets the color - even not the first tie, let alone the rest of the chain.
Is it known limitation, or I’m missing something?

Thanks,
Igor Borodin

1 Like

You should be able to get the result you want in Engrave mode, by selecting each notehead and colouring them independently.

Thank you for the tip, Daniel.

That way all tied notes are colored; though the ties themselves are not. But I can live with that.

IB

Any plans to add this feature_e? See attachment.
Capture.JPG

I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking, but to reiterate what I wrote a year ago: you can colour each note in a tie chain by selecting each notehead in Engrave mode.

Hi Daniel. I think he refers to the tie itself. If I select a tie in Engrave mode and apply a color, it’s the precedent note that gets coloured, not the tie itself.

Actually I meant all tied notes would automatically have the same color. In Dorico they are logically one note. So why not have them all colored the same? I’m not too concerned about the tie itself (similar to the note flags), but maybe others are.

I guess that’s because they are the same note event, but they are different elements regarding engraving (and the color property is an engraving property). That’s why in Engraving mode you can select individual notes, whereas in write mode you can’t.

Understood, but I started coloring in Write mode – where it’d be consistent if it colored all the tied notes the same. Then if you wanted to vary from that, color differently in Engrave.

Sure, eventually I expect that selecting a note in Write mode and changing its colour will change the colour of every notehead in the tie chain, but that’s not how the program works today. You have to select and colour each notehead individually in Engrave mode.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just found a neat solution for this problem: select your tied note group in Write mode, so the whole tie chain is selected. Then go to Engrave mode, and change color, with the tie chain still selected. Voilà, all of the notes in the tie chain (but not the ties themselves) change color!

(Edit: this only works if all the tied notes are on the same system.)

Ran into this 2-3 years later and the behavior is still confusing. Because Dorico selected the entire duration of the note in write mode and allowed me to change the color, I was confused when it did not apply to the selection, but the first note head in the selection. I was also surprised that the ties were not colored.

I am glad that it is at least possible to color all the note heads in engrave mode, but even in engrave mode Dorcio doesn’t honor the color for the ties themselves. Here you can see I have only the tie selected and I’ve set its color, but the color doesn’t change:

I’m not sure if it’s possible to do what I want to do, which is to highlight a specific passage for my teacher. Any guidance is appreciated, and of course, more intuitive results based on existing controls.