Colorizing articulation rows

articulations

The scenario is adding articulation changes in the Key Editor. (And the example above is a short list of articulations!) Is it possible to have alternate rows of articulations colored slightly differently? Alternately, if the cursor is hovering over a row, can the label at the far left be highlighted? (Either way.) Otherwise clicking the right row to add an articulation change is a matter of guessing and eye-strain!

as a temporary workaround i use emojis and simbols to give color, easier to spot than just text.
Also, in case you just use directions instead of attibutes, you can actually click with the pen tool on the name of the articulation, then drag it into place, it will stay in the cosen articulation lane, cause you can’t move them to other articulation lanes.
If you use attributes you don’t even need lanes, so that’s a moot point.

2 Likes

THAT is a really helpful trick!

1 Like

I prefer to use attributes especially when there are many articulations

I have never figured out attributes.

I use attributes too, also no need to have lanes for attributes
What is it that you don’t understand about them? maybe we can convert you to the dark side :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve never heard of it… can you explain better?

Never did figure out what’s the point of Attributes, how to use them in practice, or why they’re better than Directions. (BTW, I’m all for the Dark Side!)

Attributes are for individual notes.

Right, I get that much. I don’t get why the Attribute feature is helpful in the long run. I’m just as likely to use an articulation for multiple notes as just one. And under the hood the Expression Map is selecting one and only one patch for you, period.

It just seems to me like a feature in search of a problem – and a feature that complicates things no less.

The idea is based on the fact that some articulations are mentioned once, and remain in force until another is encountered, whereas attributes are per note.

For example, arco and pizzicato are directions, and staccato, tenuto and accents are attributes.

Right. I even get that this is the theoretical purpose. But why is this helpful?

For example, I might have a passage that is mostly Staccato, with a few Detachés in it. As I understand it, I’d set the Direction as Staccato, but the few Detachés as Attributes. But what if I also want to have another passage as mostly Detachés , with a few Staccatos in it? In my expression map do I need to have FOUR entries: Direction=Staccato, Attribute=Detaché , Direction=Detaché and Attribute=Staccato? When you start multiplying up the combinations, it seems to me you end up with a ‘combinatorial explosion’ (Feel free to Google that phrase). How is this a good thing?

Both are attributes, not directions.

Or – both can be either?

Any given patch can be either a Direction or an Attribute, correct?

The only difference I can guess is that a Direction is applied until changed, whereas an Attribute effectively changes your patch for the one note and puts it back to the previous patch for you.

Is it really worth doubling the size of your Expression Map for that? Especially when you’re building your own! (The same patch can be either an Attribute or a Direction – it has to be entered twice.)

I am really open to missing something here!

the number of expression maps is the same wether you use directions or attributes, you can’ have an articulation be both, either use it as direction, or as attribute.
Then, you can use expression maps 3 ways, either all directions, or all attributes or a mix of both (an example would be a legato articulation that use different attack types that are instead attributes).
Now what i prefer is to use only attributes because you get rid of articulation lanes (which take a lot of room) and because i can then edit freely the position of the notes without worrying about them losing the assigned articulation, as in attributes mode they are assigned to the notes themselves.
Also, the advantage is merely in the editing phase, because as far as recording, nothing changes.
Wether you use direction or attributes, you press record, trigger the remote keyswitch for the desired articulation (make sure to have latch mode checked on in the expression maps editor) and play the notes, they will all get the articulation you triggered.
If you use directions you will see the chosen articulation in the articulations lanes until you trigger another articulation.
If you use attributes, you will see the name of the articulation on each note you are recording, until you change to another articulation.
Now comes the editing part.
Here if you use directions and want to change an articulation, you’d have to delete the art from the lane and place the new one in the right point in time so it happens before the note that needs to pick up that art until the next one.
But if you use attributes, you just select the notes you want to change and click on the articulation field of the midi editor Info Line, where it will show you a popup of all available articulations, and you just select the new one, it is way faster, especially if you pair with Keyboard Maestro, at which point you can configure it to be automated at the press of a button from a triggering device (be it a keyboard, or better a stream deck or ipad).
I hope that makes it a bit more clear.
But i just want to point out the number of articulations does not change.
Also do not use Cubase expression maps editor, it sucks, use this free amazing editor and import the maps in Cubase.

Yours truly (from the dark side)

Wow, thanks! You explanation make sense. And I’ll check out the expressionmap editor (Cubase’s is definitely a pain!)

1 Like