Combined base switch or add-on?

I’m fiddling with the EW Play version of the Hollywood Strings expression map and came upon something that is a bit confusing. Take the below, e.g.,

You can see the Base Switch is Accent and the Add On is Legato. Contrast the above with the below example:

The Base Switch is a combination of Legato + Staccato with no Add On. I would expect the two examples would yield the same results – either Legato Add On or Base Switch combination.

Is there an explanation for this or better, is there documentation on which techniques, when combined, become Combination Base Switch(es) or Add Ons?

Thanks

I haven’t looked at that specific expression map, but I imagine the discrepancy is down to the way the expression map is set up, and that there really is a base switch for the combined “legato” and “staccato” playback techniques.

Yes there is.

And I feel foolish… forgetting that the playback tech., lane is just matching from the expression map.

I get it now.

I’ve sometimes created “Legato + Staccato” Base expressions; and sometimes I’ve just made Staccato and Legato mutually exclusive. It depends whether you want a different effect for staccato under a slur.

Even if the Legato is a CC switch, you have to use Base expressions if you want the Legato to switch off other conditions that might be in any other given Base expression.

Thanks.

My issue was that I forgot that the definitions in the expression map were what was reflected in the playback technique lane. For a moment while creating this thread, I thought the playback technique lane was what the audio rendering engine “saw” in the score and I was baffled that accent+legato and staccato+legato were shown differently – I cleared my head an understand now.

As an aside, yes, Hollywood Strings has a “Stac Slur” articulation while other combinations with legato simple turn on legato mode in the Opus VST (no articulation change).