Combined dynamics restrictions

It seems that Dorico automatically splits the columns in forte (down to mf) and piano (up to mp) making it impossible to achieve combined dynamics in the same range. (Like mp/pp in the following example I am re-engraving). This panel needs to be a lot more flexible and “dynamic”. Also combined dynamics in contemporary literature is often used in the context of an enveloppe describing attack/sustain = “intensity/attack dynamic”/“sustain dynamic”, eg. sffz/mf, for now “intensity/attack dynamics” are excluded.

The workaround I found for now is to create custom playing techniques but as you can imagine that’s far from ideal when dealing with hairpins and dynamic alignements.

I think it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have that as an option, though I haven’t personally seen that a whole lot, and I guess it depends on the tempo and instrument but mp/pp sub. on a quarter note might be either confusing or simply annoying to most players… when a simple downward hairpin might be easier to read and in the context of a quarter note would be practically subito given how short it is anyway. I personally wouldn’t go for over-prescribing the attack/sustain phase of notes like a synth, but to each their own.

For now, rather than playing techniques, why not just add a dynamic and then add a suffix, like so?

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 9.41.35 PM

The only downside here is the suffix will be a tad smaller:

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 9.41.10 PM

but it’ll do. Alternatively you could create the two dynamics with a hairpin like mp>pp sub. and then manually delete the hairpin, move the pp sub. over, and add a suffix with as slash like so:

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 9.44.54 PM

Still not the solution you’re looking for and perhaps less aesthetically precise, but might be an easier workaround in the meantime than playing techniques.

2 Likes

or

3 Likes