Combined Instruments on a Single Score Stave

Explode and Reduce are indeed only for real copy and paste. I’d imagine that the upcoming Condense feature will work something like how percussion kits work - you start with multiple staves and tell Dorico to display them as one stave - but it doesn’t really matter; the developers will have thought long and hard about how best to achieve this.

Marc, where do I paste the different instruments, into voice 1 and 2 onto the combined flutes staff?

Yes, exactly. If there are long homophonic sections, you can paste both into voice 1. If there are unison sections, just paste 1.

Thanks Dan.

It’s the first time I need to do this for a client, the score becomes too small to read. I know about the classical instruments condensing, but what about these instruments?

The score contains 3 trumpets, 3 trombones + bass trombone, 5 saxes (alt 1/2, tenor 1/2 and baritone)?

I typically do
-Trumpet 1-2
-Trumpet 3
-Trombone 1-2
-Trombone 3/Bass Trombone

Not sure about the saxes.

Thanks Dan.

For me, it depends on how different the parts are from each other. Sometimes it’s easier to write e,g, the 1st trumpet alone and 2 and 3 together. If your client does not have certain specifications like major publishers always have, I would take this in account. Yet you should not change the combinations midway in the score.

Regardless of your opinion on this for orchestral scores, there’s absolutely a need to be able to break out SA and Tb staves into S A T B staves (or even S1 S2 A1 A2 etc. Staves) midway through a score.

Sure, right. I just meant the instruments, not singers. Of course you could change that in different movements, but I rather would not change it somewhere in between.

No, I’m talking about midway through a movement. Choral singers are absolutely used to it.

Yes, I’m talking instruments only - sorry for my misunderstandable way of writing!

Just wondering if I am doing this correctly. I am still a little unclear about this.
I created a new layout named Alto Sax 1&2.
Having this layout in the right panel selected, I tick the Alto sax 1 player in the left panel, otherwise I cannot edit this layout it seems.
Next I copy the Alto Sax 2 part and paste Special into Upstem-Voice 1.

Problem now is that my original sax one part is being changed as well, so I went wrong somewhere.

Andre, you need three staves:
A. Alto Sax 1
B. Alto Sax 2
C. Alto Sax 1+2.

I suspect you’re currently copying from B to A. You need to copy from A to C and from B to C.

1 Like

Yes, I know that, but the problem is that I cannot edit the Alto Sax 1+2 Layout, because it doesn’t exist in the drop down menu. Adding the original players makes it of course appear, but then I also change the original layouts of those parts.

Or should I simply start a new instrument that will be my combined staff?

That is exactly what Leo has written in #34. Create a new “dummy” player which will only appear in your new Sax 1&2 layout. What Leo called C=Sax 1 + Sax 2

1 Like

Ah, OK. I totally missed that. I thought it was all a matter of working with the layouts only. Now I read post #6 back, it indeed says: "Create your combined player “Fl1 & Fl2”. Thanks again for clarifying, Dan.

For anyone finding this thread years later but asking the same question (like me) I just found this official video that speak about this feature, implemented in Dorico 3: Automatic Condensed Conductor’s Scores | New Features in Dorico 3 - YouTube

1 Like