Combining LH & RH MIDI tracks for a piano score

I have a song with a MIDI piano part in it. Because I wanted to edit the two parts separately to polish them up, I copied the RH and LH to separate MIDI tracks. Because those parts were edited and changed, I deleted the original combined track, so it no longer exists.

I found a way to open the score editor with both tracks showing, (with the RH MIDI notes in the Treble clef and LH MIDI notes in the Bass clef). I like this, because no matter how low my RH plays or how high my LH plays, the split between staffs is always correct.

But when I try to apply chord symbols, it only recognizes one clef at a time. So if I’m playing a DM7 chord, but the LH is playing a low “D” and the RH looks like an F#m chord, the chord symbol displays as “F#m” (ignoring that the LH is part of the chord). I couldn’t figure out how to apply the chord symbol to BOTH clefs (which are separate MIDI tracks).

Question 1: Can this be fixed without re-copying the parts into a single MIDI track?

Question 2: I played some broken chords in the RH. Besides the broken chords, the fastest notes I play are eighth notes, so I changed the Display Quantize in the score to eighth notes. But because it’s a slow (dramatic) broken chord, the first one or two notes of the broken chord are displayed as if they were played an eighth note ahead of the rest of the chord. Without editing the performance in the MIDI track (and without copying to another track and editing the performance there), can this be fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Q1) I think you are going to need to combine the 2 Parts together to get the chord recognition to work. Reading between the lines it sounds like you have Score Settings, Polyphonic Tab, Staff Mode set to Split. This is what causes problems when your RH & LH cross. To avoid this set the Staff Mode to Polyphonic and make sure all your RH notes are on MIDI Channel 1 and the LH notes on Channel 2 - then they’ll stay on the desired staff. If your VSTi like most wants the piano all on a single MIDI Channel - on the Track’s Inspector change the MIDI Channel setting from “Any” (which passes the Notes through on whatever MIDI Channel the Note specifies) to “1” which will force all the notes onto Channel 1 regardless of what the Note specifies.

You could take your current LH Part and change it to Ch 2 before merging is probably easiest way to get there.

Q2) There’s others on here that have a better handle on this. Display Quantize has always met my needs.

First, thanks for your detailed reply, Raino. I think I understand what to do. But I went to this link to figure out how to change the MIDI channel, and I got stuck immediately. It says: “In the topmost Inspector section, open the Output Routing pop-up menu and select an output.” But I searched around for about 15 minutes, and I can’t find anything like that. Can you possibly send me a printscreen with a circle around where that is located?

https://steinberg.help/cubase_ai_le_elements/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/recording/recording_setting_the_midi_channel_and_output_t.html

Are you using Instrument Tracks or MIDI Tracks. While both types are similar Instrument Tracks combine the MIDI data and the Instrument producing the audio into one single Track (making them in general easier to use). Where MIDI Tracks only have have the data on them and you need to route that data to a VSTi that will play the sound. This is what the help passage is talking about - setting the playback instrument and not the playback channel. But if you are actually using an Instrument Track you won’t see any of that.

Here is a gif showing how it works.

I’m using The Grand virtual instrument, but all of the notes are MIDI.

I’m using The Grand virtual instrument, but all of the notes are MIDI.

That was SUPER helpful. THANK YOU!

[I could have had the score finished in Finale by now, but I’m attracted to the idea that I might be able to keep everything in a single, somewhat automated Cubase project, and if I alter any notes later, everything will stay together.]

OK, so now I have the two different MIDI channels set for the LH and RH parts, thanks to your GIF, and the score now has chord symbols. But it’s calling an “E / D” an E7 chord. Am I missing anything about how the automation works or would it just be faster to add all the chords with manual text?

When you made your Chord symbols how did you do that? I just tried it by selecting all the Notes and using Scores/Make Chord Symbols and it did indeed call it an E/D chord not an E7. This isn’t an area I know very well, but there are items in Score/Settings about how to display chords you might play with. Under any circumstances for misnamed chords you should be able to double click them to open the Edit Chord Symbol dialog and correct it.

Yes, I selected all notes and chose Make Chord Symbols, and yes, it has an E chord in the right hand (with no “d” in it) and a “D” note very low in the bass. I’ll take your advice and check Score/Settings and as a last resort, edit the wrong chord calculations.

As always, Rodger, you’re a hero. Thanks again! Dave