Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

I agree, there’s not much to say about it, but people can still comment. On the same token, this topic should not devolve into a discussion simply about Windows 10, whether it’s spyware, its moral and political implications or any of that. Those are perfectly valid subjects, but have little to do with what OSes are supported by Steinberg products.

I’ll be cleaning the topic, so apologies for any feelings hurt about posts removed. :ugeek:

I fully support Steinberg on this one!

Just a reminder that Windows 7 is EOL n January 2020, which means even Microsoft won’t be supporting it. If you run Windows 7 connected to the internet any time after January 2020, you are at risk of any number of vulnerabilities that appear but don’t get patched. No one is forcing anyone to upgrade to 10.5 so at least you know that you can always use Cubase 10 on W7 until you upgrade (which should be January 2020 at the very latest).

Windows 8.1 while a decent OS truly is a beta for Windows 10, and a bad one at that (from a design standpoint). If you check out adoption charts of Windows 8.1, you’ll see how few people use it compared to W7 and W10.

I’m all for Steinberg focusing on less OSs and spending time getting more Cubase rock solid and awesome for us.

Oh and one final point, Cubase SX 3.1.1 is not officially supported on Windows 10 but it works perfectly. If you’re so determined to run Windows 7, I have a feeling Cubase 10.5+ will still work on it (due to Microsoft’s pretty strong continuity of their SDKs); but you can’t expect Steinberg to support an OS that’s no longer supported by the OS vendor.

Great!

+1

I’ve been a user since Windows 1.0 :slight_smile: and Windows 10 is not only the most reliable and stable but includes key changes to low level stuff specifically targeted at improving low latency real time applications like Cubase.

This historic ambition to keep running older computer hardware OS’s and applications is one of the main culprits for instability and slowed development for many years. Ditching the old stuff and moving forward is a very healthy thing to do.

But note, nobody is forcing your hand here. The old stuff will continue to work fine if it is working fine now - ignoring security risks. I for one wouldn’t dream of going back to anything prior to WIn10, but I do still only run CB9.5 as for me it provides all I need and is rock stable.

What is the latest version supported on windows 7? The number please?

The current version. 10.0.30.
Or do you mean the latest version that WILL be supported? 10.0.50.

The latest windows 7 version supported.

Do you mean the 10.0.50 version will be the last windows 7 supported?

i hope they will test the next maintenance updates for Steinberg vst such as halion 6 with windows 7 and 8.1 and also windows 8.1 has until 2023 for until Microsoft stops support for it i don’t really like this change

Simply re-read Matthias Quellman´s Posts. :unamused:

Hello,

I will just quite Matthias on this one: “The upcoming maintenance updates for Cubase 10 will still be tested on Windows 7 and 8, but Cubase 10.5 will only support Windows 10. We decided to announce our future strategy as soon as possible to give all of you still running W7 or W8 system enough time to prepare.”

That means that the upcoming Cubase 10.0.40 will be supported on Windows 7 and 8, and in case there is a Cubase 10.0.50 that will be the same.

If you want to keep discussing about Microsoft and the future of operating systems, please feel free to do so at the lounge.

Best regards,
Guillermo Navarrete

Thanks guys. I’m glad they will support Cubase 10 on win 7 all the way. Don’t know where i got mixed up but that makes more sense that way.

I actually mean’t to say I’m sorry but I don’t think this is acceptable.

+1000,

It’s about time. Windows 7/8 are dead.

Sounds good, unless your current hardware cannot be successfully upgraded to Windows 10. Other than that my DAW does everything I need - so should I buy a new computer solely to migrate to 10? Yeah, sounds silly to me too.

When I found out I’d be on 7 for the useful life of the hardware I understood that one thing that could limit that useful life was software compatibility. But every computer eventually breaks down - either the hardware or the software. When that happens then it is time to replace.

Steinberg’s announcement doesn’t really change much. The overwhelming odds are that my windows 7 PC will run future versions of Cubase just fine until a hardware problem forces me to buy a new PC. And if I run into a software/OS problem before that happens? Guess that means it is time to buy a new PC.

So far, nothing is broken so no need to fix anything.

If your hardware is that old then it isn’t going to cope with future features in Cubase anyway so is a null point. Win 7 will be 10 years old when support is dropped. And if your Win 7 machine does ‘everything’ you need right now, then you’re golden as the hardware dongle doesn’t require internet access to stay ‘live’… presuming that you won’t be going online with an exploitable OS.

Sounds good to me.
Cubase will only get better when development & testing is concentrated on the latest OS.

Regards. :sunglasses:

As far as I remember there is a new midi api in win10, now that can finally be utilized.
I have yet to come across a PC that couldn’t run win10. Some might need some tinkering, mainly driver updates and BiOS updates. Anything that speeds up development or results in more stable releases, I’m all for.
This could potentially do both.
Thumbs up.

It’s more to do with resources and costs, why spend money supporting a 10 year old OS that could hold back future developments and movement into newer technology that can utilise functions on a hardware level? This is a stake in the ground for Steinberg and a heads-up for Win 7/8 users of their plans.

I’m pretty sure that they will respond to any application breaking bugs in win 7 ‘where they can’ as part of goodwill, but they won’t be recommending or supporting users in an official capacity. As they move to newer API’s, incompatibly with older OS’s are sure to arise - i think that’s the point -steve- is making, but until 10.5 releases they won’t fully know. Many API’s do have compatibility options, but it gets messy when you start adjusting builds for obsolete OS’s.

Mac users went through the same process with the Metal API, applications that utilised it had to have a GPU that supported it… So Apple made it a requirement for their OS, 10 Years of Win 7, really is something Apple users would love - Logic for example requres MacOS High Sierra (2017). And Cubase you have to be running MacOS Sierra (2016). Compare that to supporting an OS which goes back to 2009 and the multitude of issues that ‘could’ show up when moving to newer frameworks - well, they’d have to go in and test it all to tell you ‘what’ doesn’t work.

But what’s key in the question you’ve asked is that it’s only relevant in the final build to give you a definitive answer. In it’s current state, C10.5 may not even start in Win 7, or is very buggy generally. But as Steinberg products are cross platform it will be their own Frameworks which may be tweaked globally to allow Win 7 users to run future versions - really depends on the amount of work i guess. So it’s very complicated for them to tell you ‘what’ works or doesn’t.

What are the resources and costs to installing a program on a Win7 desktop and seeing if new features work?

A large number of people still use Win7, not everyone will be able to transfer over right away - which actually means a potential loss in sales. Besides, they have beta testers, beta testers who run Win7, so I know it was tested. It was tested. As -Steve- pointed out, some things definitely will not work for Win7… which means… it was tested. :laughing: