Compiling new pc (Haswell-E Core i7 5820K)

Hi guys!

I’m busy building a new system and i was wondering if i have a have compiled a decent system, price/performance

Mobo: MSI ATX X99A SLI Plus
Cpu: Intel Haswell-E Core i7 5820K 3.30GHz 15MB Box
Cpu cooler: Noctua NH-D9L AMD & Intel
sdram: Corsair 4x8GB, DDR4, 2133MHz, CL13, Vengeance LPX (in the future i want to buy another same set for 64gb sdram)
power: Cooler Master G750M 750W, Modulair
SSD: Samsung SSD 2.5", 250GB, SATA600, 850 EVO

Any thoughts?
Is it okay? or maybe not? cuz i don’t have big pocket with money :wink:

ps. i’m using my old case and grapics card

Cheers!

Hoi :slight_smile:

That looks like a decent machine. It helps if we know what you want to do with it, what kind of projects do you usually do?
I have no experience with MSI motherboards, so how they behave at low latency remains to be seen. Maybe someone else has used them?

Hi!

Thnx for your reply!

I want to use the system to produce house music, so i want to use loads of vsti’s, i don’t want to use it for multi tracking & recording live bands etc.

So it’s better to choose another brand?

I’m not experienced in the low latency behavoir…

I don’t know if this MSI is good or bad, so I don’t know what’s better :wink:
I suggest you read through this forum a bit to see which motherboards people picked with a similar CPU.

Additionally, 32GB RAM should be plenty for your projects. The only projects that require huge amounts of RAM involve big sample libraries like orchestra’s etc. I don’t think you’ll need to upgrade to 64GB at all.

Finally, I noticed that the CPU you picked has a 140W TDP. That means it’ll run quite hot in use. I don’t know what case you have but you’ll need decent airflow to keep it cool. (That CPU cooler you picked is fine though!)

Thanks!

That’s some usefull info…

Ure shure about that? otherwise ure right, it saves me money.
I don’t use those library’s

I red something about triple channel ram is good for i7 processors but how about quadro?
pfff it’s a maze been searchin’ for day’s now

Thnx for the info! & Any tips or tricks are always welcome!

After a whooole lot-a searching on the forum it seems that where a-lot of problems with the low latency but the asus boards seems to work well
Asus X99-A
Asus X99-Pro
Asus X99-Sabertooth
Saw that those boards the most used x99 boards

But the Asus X99-A is the cheapest and seems to works well, with the wright configurations
I don’t need all the extra stuff as on the pro & Sabertooth

So this is for the moment my setup:

Mobo: Asus X99-A/USB3.1
Cpu cooler: Noctua NH-D9L AMD & Intel
sdram: Corsair 4x8GB, DDR4, 2133MHz, CL13, Vengeance LPX
power: Cooler Master G650M 650W, Modulair

Nice, looks good :slight_smile:

Thanks! it’s gettin’ somewhere :smiley:

I saw that my old graphicscard didn’t support this mobo so had to add one…
Sapphire PCI-e Radeon R5 230 Flex 1GB

It’s a cheap card and not a fancy one, but but it has dual dvi ouput and & hdmi output…
I’m not a gamer so i think it must be good enough for cubase on 2 screens… 3th screen with hdmi to dvi is also possible

I’ll always thought that grapics cards weren’t that important 4 daw’s please correct me if i’m wrong…

And i saw when overclocking it’s maybe better to add 1 or 2 extra fans on the cpu cooler…
i saw that can reduce up 12 degrees celcius

Haha So final list:
Mobo: MSI ATX X99A SLI Plus
Cpu cooler: Noctua NH-D9L
Cpu cooler: Noctua Extra fan NF-A9x14 PWM 92mm, Low Profile
sdram: Corsair 4x8GB, DDR4, 2133MHz, CL13, Vengeance LPX
power: Cooler Master G750M 750W, Modulair
Grapics: Sapphire PCI-e Radeon R5 230 Flex 1GB

The cost are gettin’ higher & higher haha
Hopefully this month i have enough money… and then… :mrgreen:

Nice. It’s true that the graphics card is not very important, Cubase doesn’t need much graphical processing power.
I don’t know where you will place your computer, but especially when overclocking, you might want to look at keeping the noise levels down. The graphics card, case fans and CPU fans all create noise, and if they’re spinning at high speed in a case that isn’t isolating very well you might get annoyed by the noise.

Check for all components you picked how much noise they produce. This is usually part of reviews/benchmarks too so you should be able to find that information. Especially the graphics card can be very noisy because they usually have relatively small fans that spin very fast.

This is a very cheap graphics card with no fan on it…only cooling ribs so the internal fans will keep it cool if it get’s to hot…
And the cpu fan is a quit one too and the power supply from coolermaster should be also
So the system should be quit enough i hope haha

No Fancy gamers card! just basic
Cuz, the only game i play on my computer is tetris in cubase :mrgreen:

Hey there,

I will be watching this thread with interest as I’m just researching a new build also, and have come to similar conclusions to you re parts.

But I use orchestral sample libraries so will probably end up with at least 64Gb on the board to start.

Let me know how you get on!

Here’s my current build. Still not sure on the video card tho
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 50.5 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£42.99 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3333
Storage: Samsung XP941 Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 2GB Video Card

Advice: Stay away from motherboards with wifi,bleutooth and components you do not use, it’s overkill and an extra element which can steer thing the wrong way!

I built many systems myself with ASUS boards, I won’t be doing that anymore because of bad experience with ASUS, Gigabyte and Intel board are probably the brands I would investigate.