Comping drum takes - possible bug?

I first posted this in the Nuendo forum but got no response. maybe someone here can shed some light on this for me.
I am using Nuendo 11, but I don’t think this is specific to any version in particular.
I do a lot of real drum recordings and sometimes the drummers are not great and I end up with 20-50 takes of the drums. I have all the drum tracks in a folder and the folder is set to group edit (so any change on one track will be made on all the tracks. I find that this ONLY works if every track has the lanes OPEN. If a track does not have all the lanes showing, it will not accept the group change and then I will get a warning that the tracks are no longer in sync (or something like that. I can deal with it, but when I have 50 lanes for each of the 15 drums tracks, that’s a lot of scrolling up and down just to open and close them all.

Anyone else experience this? Is there a workaround. I hope I didn’t already ask this but maybe I’m losing my mind.

I’m dealing with the exact same thing right now… apparently you and I are the FIRST PEOPLE EVER to comp drums in Cubase with multiple takes. Literally no one knows how to do it… pathetic.

Well, at least I know how to make it work. Early on, I couldn’t understand why comps would be all messed up. Now that I know all lanes have to be open, I can get the work done. It is a bit odd that this has to be the case. Someone at Steinberg must know this is a problem. Who knows if/when it may be fixed.

Can you perhaps show in a video what you mean? Curious to see how you guys edit your drums.

I sometimes also have mediocre drummers in the studio, but then I just duplicate all the tracks, so I have 2 blocks at the beginning of the recording. On track block 1 I only record, and on the second block the recorded tracks get dragged onto if they are well recorded.

Having all the take lanes open isnt a big deal, there’s a Key Command for that. I just assigned it to Ctrl+L, so all I do is select all the tracks and hit Ctrl+L and they’re all open and ready to go. And most DAWS will only let you Group tracks or items or clips if they are the same length, so that’s nothing new.

But its unforgivable that you can’t blow up one track, say the Kick In Mic, so the track plus all its lanes can take up the whole screen. That would let you see every take on that mic, then you could just make a keyboard shortcut to the Snare and quickly see if the kick and snare are in sync, then you could hit another keyboard shortcut and see the hihat or ride or crash or whatever else is being hit and see if thats in sync as well. The way it is now, you’re just scrolling all day and its stupid, like incredibly stupid. And since not a single person has answered anybody’s question as to how to fix this, it means there is no fix… its infuriating!

There should be an easy way to do this
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/make-one-track-full-screen-with-all-of-its-takes/862653

Here’s also a list of complaints i have with Cubase’s Comping system
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/fix-cubases-embarrassingly-horrendous-unusable-comp-system-with-a-few-easy-check-boxes/862649