Comping mystery

This is a great idea, Raino, thanks!

I agree. Good idea.

I press record and get the 2 bar click. Perhaps you need to recheck the prefs.

I think I may have discovered why lanes are disappearing after comping. Actually, they’re not disappearing after comping, but after I bounce the track. But if I render rather than bounce, the lanes remain.

Have you had a look at the Audio Parts window as I suggested? I think it might help.

Whatever, it is all part of the endless learning curve that is Cubase.

OK, since the recorded bass line in my project is starting at Bar 3, (and this is where I needed to start my recording lanes), when I created a recorded click track it started at bar 1. So, when things looped, I always had the click for two bars. But I will go back to my Preferences and see what I’ve set up for recording.

BUT, I thought this was something you set up in the metronome? And I have created this there, actually. However, you’re saying I need to do this in my Preferences? Where exactly will I find this?

Transport>Metronome Setup

Sorry I did mean metronome setup. Once you have set the locators and activated cycle mode and selected the track you wish to record on, as soon as you press record the two bar click will start and then recording will begin.

You can drop in to recording. You will notice on the transport bar at the bottom of the screen there is a triangle pointing downwards with a dot underneath. Press that and a red triangle will appear on the time line above the tracks and drag this to where you want to drop in. Press the upward triangle and drag this to the point you want the recording to end. You can deactivate cycle recording. This can be useful if you want to keep the phrasing if you are re-recording something from the middle of a bass part.

This is new to me, when did this red triangle come into play. C9? I’ve never used this before. It works nicely, easier that setting up my punch in/out that I usually use. Thanks!

I think it was C10. Yes I prefer it too. Glad to help.

Is the precount working now?

Good question. I’m finishing up a guitar amp build project right now, I will check out the pre-click function tomorrow. But tell me, can you set this up for Lane recording? I don’t think so, right? Thanks.

For me, recording a click track in the project is something that really helps my process from time to time and this has been a plus and a help. Q: Is there a way to create a ‘pre-roll tape’ (recorded click track or click itself) in a loop situation? In the past I’ve always repeated the punch in until it was right, you know? And here I would just start the take before the punch in and then turn on ‘stop at punch out’. Thoughts?

Hmmm! I’m not sure what you have got going there as I always loop when recording parts with a 2 bar click pre-count.

When you go into Transport>Common Record Modes Have you got start at the left locator ticked?

Midi Record Mode > New Parts is ticked?

Try ticking Click During Count In in the Metronome Set Up

Hope that helps

Looking at the metronome setup I see that I didn’t check the box ‘Click during Count-in’. F-bomb. So, this explains quite a few issues I couldn’t explain. Hm. Let me run through everything later today and see what I have ended up with. Thanks.

OK, back again, things are pretty sorted for me here in the comping area. Thank you for your patience, Raino and Silhouette. This said, one thing has come up. Since you can list many functions on your Track Window, what do you gentlemen choose to list, and in what order? For example, in either an Audio or Midi channel, I list left to right: Rec/Listen - Edit Channel/Config - Read/Write - Lane - Toggle Time or Musical Mode. Is this too much? Have you found something that helps you work faster?

1 Like

Don’t think there is any right or wrong on this, it really is a matter of personal taste and circumstances. For example I’m inclined to show all the available controls (except controls I never use). But of course doing so consumes more screen-space. For me that isn’t a constraint as I’m using 4 monitors and have plenty of space. But if I were using a laptop with one smaller screen I’d likely want to see less controls.

Alas, our work here appears unfinished. You mean Timebase here - Mode only applies to Audio Files, while Timebase is for Tracks. Confusing the two is pretty easy to do, but inevitably leads to a timing mess in a Project.

1 Like

Ah, OK, I see. Well, I should have said ‘I have also included the 1/4 note icon that toggles the time base between musical and lineal’. Better?

Hm. Raino, I seem to remember you saying that if I created a Project that was setup with all tracks using musical mode then my Markers (if I changed my time signature) would align the correct bars to the Markers? This is something I would like to have in a Project. In fact, unless I’m way off here, seeing the benefit of using musical mode in this current Project, I’m not really sure what the benefit of using lineal time would be? And you’re definitely, correct, I’m a bit naive here, and I could use your take on this. Thanks.

BTW, in my Prefs, I have the ‘Default Track Time Type’ set to ‘Musical’. If I change it to ‘Follow Transport Display’ will I gain anything?

The folks doing film & video work are the primary users of Linear Timebase - they often need to have a sound occur at a specific moment in a video.

Not really. That option is for folks who need to switch back & forth between Musical & Linear Timebase on Projects. More likely it increases the risk of accidentally setting a Track to the wrong Timebase.

Alright, thanks for this, Raino. I will run this way for now, I appreciate your help. BTW, I saw some of your recent posts regarding midi use in Cubase. I hope Steinberg and other ppl here appreciate your help like I do.

I did, but not sure exactly how it would be an improvement over comping – especially since I’ve started using rendering rather than bouncing. But happy to hear whatever input your can provide regarding using Audio Parts.

It is comping. The Audio track is fixed/joined audio clips and a double click allows you to go into the Audio Parts Editor to do anything you can do when you comp in the arrange page. I suppose it means that you comp is fixed on the arrange page and can’t be accidentally changed. It used to be the way that most people worked, including me. However rather than rendering in place when I “think” I have finished comping, I convert all the clips to an audio part. Which achieves pretty much the same thing as rendering in place, as it is tidy, saves space and quick to do. Plus I can go back in and edit if something subsequently annoys me.

Perhaps someone else can chime in in favour of the audio parts editor? Perhaps explain what you do and why you like it.

I’ll use Audio Parts for stuff like a 2 bar shaker pattern that gets replicated across the verses. But for a vocal comp I’m more likely to Render it to a new Audio File. Often after comping I’ll want to do some pitch correction or even sibilance removal and using a clean new Audio File helps me keep organized. In the past I’ve had issues with tempo and time-stretching when using a bunch of Audio Events which are all based on the same Audio File and rendering helps avoid that.