Comping track modification suggestion

Dear steinberg staff, congratulations for the work done with cubase 11.
I wanted to invite you to consider the possibility of adding a command to lock the chosen takes. so that once chosen they always stay on top.
Basically, working in comping mode. it happens that the takes previously chosen do not remain selected or in the foreground when you select other takes to listen to them but go to the background and therefore mute. To speed up the work and for convenience, it would be useful to make sure that when you select a new take to listen to it, you don’t have to reselect all the takes chosen previously.
Thanks and good music to everyone.

Comping track

If you cut all the lanes on the main Track then it won’t switch like that.

Hello raino thanks for the valuable advice. I have already adopted some tricks like coloring the chosen take with a different color or duplicating the chosen takes in a new lane. It may happen that in a project some takes of a track are not the same either because the expression of the phrase has been deliberately modified or because new embellishments are added or other, so the relative wave files are not all the same and cutting everything together means there is a risk that, in some takes, the cut occurs on the wave and not on the unrecorded part. I thought about this function because when working in a project with many takes such as guitar, vocals, piano. ect … it can speed up the work and also to make as few clicks as possible, a sort of automation, instead of cutting all the takes, a function that cuts the take, which you have to listen to. automatically from the point where the previously chosen take ends. A bit like when working with graphics programs with various layers, put in the foreground or background and then there are already other daw that work in this way. It shouldn’t be ruled out that my way of working with cubase comping may be wrong. This is just a small suggestion that I allow myself to give to the magnificent staff of Steinberg programmers. Thanks again to Steinberg for giving me the opportunity to express my music.
Good work and good music to everyone

1 Like

I do agree with Settimio, it is an interesting feature request, because we don’t want necessarily all the lanes cut in the same place. A way to lock the chosen ones would be useful

1 Like

I used to cut some Lanes at different times so they weren’t all the same. Then I stated always cutting across all Lanes to avoid these kinds of issues. In the example of a vocal with different phrasing on one take, I’ll cut all the Lanes both just before the majority of the vocals, and also another cut just before the odd vocal take. And yes that does result in cuts through Audio on Lanes where the cuts aren’t needed. But those extra cuts don’t hurt anything by being there and they make the overall comping process easier and more straightforward.

Also you can’t really damage an Audio Event by cutting it. If you later want to restore what was left or right of a cut just drag the lower corner.

1 Like

sure, the current editing is not destructive and we can drag the corners and glue the parts…
working with vocals takes is simple. But is a bit different if I want to comp many takes of a long instrumental solo, here there are not common breaks but each solo is totally different. It needs time to zoom…in and out, drag the corners
It would be simpler if as soon as I chose a part there is an option to lock it. I mean it’s not a vital feature, just a suggestion

1 Like

I thank everyone for their replies and for the interest shown in the proposed advice. I state that it can also be my wrong way of working in comping mode. Certainly the cuts are not destructive so the material is always ready to be manipulated as you want, that the cut takes can still be lengthened or tightened at will by dragging the corners with the mouse and that you can use other ways such as coloring the chosen take of a different color. Let me just make a little note. I’m working on a project with about 60 audio tracks, including guitars, piano, ethnic instruments, bass and more, let’s say that 50 tracks are to be edited in comping mode. With my way of working I spend a lot of time and it also takes several mouse clicks. If we have the possibility to fix the key takes and the others are divided automatically it would be a saving of time and mouse clicks. In other daw this already happens see study one. I thank you again for the time you have dedicated to me. I wish you a Christmas full of joy, serenity and lots of good music.

1 Like

Yeah this is pretty different than comping vocals where all the Lanes have similar content.

When comping improvised solos I’ll often totally abandon the Lanes. I’ll loop record over 8 bars (or whatever) and end up with the typical stack of Lanes. But instead comping from multiple Lanes, I’ll take the first Lane and drag its length out as far as it will go. So now there is one really long Lane with all the different takes following each other. Then I just copy sections onto an empty Audio Track to build the comp. This often isn’t a useful approach, but when it is it can be very useful. Best to spin this off as a little side-Project using Save As…

In general Cubase’s comping capabilities seem due for an overhaul.

1 Like