Composing to video...

Howdy,

I really want to get into composing for video and I am wondering if anyone can advise on how I can get some decent video footage to practise on? Something to start building a showreel. If anyone can give any advise on getting started then I would really appreciate it. Composing without video is one thing but writing sessions can inevitably go on and on and having footage to work with does change the agenda somewhat (Themes etc).

Thank you

Jono

Perhaps you could try working with a film that has no score, such as the China Syndrome. It’s a good way to see how music has to fit the action and dialogue that you have no control over.

I would like to dabble with Film Trailers (to begin with). And wondering where to find any that actually have the dialogue (but no Music). Surely there must be some out there?

Hi,

I am also hoping to have a bash at this type of exercise also!

Ta,

Paul

Jono

Did you ever manage to locate any and make a start yet? I am also still looking . . .

Paul

A couple of friends of mine who are aspiring Directors have just made a short Film and asked me to do the Sound Design and Music. I warned them I had never done this type of thing before but they wanted me to give it a go and as of 3 days a go I finished the Audio and they loved it (which is fortunate haha). It’s not online yet but when it is I could post a link to it if you would be interested in what I did? Turned into an epic 343 Audio track mix (thank goodness for Disable track feature and RIP - Must get a slave machine now!)

I would recommend being a member at VI Control as it seems like a haven for Composers for Film and Video Games. Basically anything involving Virtual Instruments. If I find any sites with Good quality Video Footage to practise on I shall let you know.

Jono

If you want to try some documentary type stuff then there’s some cool stuff here…http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/Video_Gallery_Archives.html

Hi,

That would be good to see the music video when it’s finished!

Had not heard of that VI CONTROL so I will take a look.

Thanks a lot,

Paul

OT post moved to http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=219&t=84101

Sorry, yes, the link! haha!