Compound Meters (again)

Hello - Moving this topic up to the top once more. Can we please (please!!!) have the ability to have Cubase express tempo in values other than a quarter note. When writing music that alternates between compound and regular meters, the math involved in keeping the tempo steady makes my head hurt. It should be the easiest thing in the world to have for example, a dotted quarter=120 bpm in a measure of 12/8 and go straight to quarter note = 120 bpm in a measure of 4/4. This is basic musical syntax and it continues to shock me that Cubase doesn’t address it. Maybe if you have a copy of Digital Performer lying around you could take a look and see how it should be done…

I feel like I’m not understanding what you mean.
In Cubase the metronome clicks on each beat by default, so if you use a time signature of -/8 it will click twice as fast than in -/4.
In which way allowing the tempo to be set based on note lengths other than quarters would improve anything ? 99.9% of music out there is written on standard quarter note tempo.
I’m just curious, I want to know :slightly_smiling_face:

Don’t forget you can have custom click patterns, so this would perhaps help eliminating the problem :

In regular meters (4/4, 3/4, 2/4) yes the metronome sounds on every beat. However, music can also be in what is known as compound meter. Most commonly 6/8 and 9/8 and 12/8. In these time signatures the main stress is (most often) on every third 8th note. In all music notation, the tempo of the piece is defined by the main stress of the music, thus in 12/8 we would say Dotted Quarter note = 90bpm for example. As an experiment, open up a new Cubase sequence, make the time signature in measure 1 be 12/8 and the time signature in measure 2 be 4/4. (If you click on the 12/8 signature box you can turn off the metronome clicks for the eighth notes, so the click is only happening on the dotted quarters). Set the tempo at 120bpm. Loop between the 2 measures. You’ll hear that the click is a different tempo in each bar. Now set the tempo for the 12/8 measure to 180 bpm, but keep the 4/4 measure at 120 bpm. The click in each measure is now the same.
Hope that explains the issue. In music that regularly goes between compound meters and simple meters, Cubase falls short in letting the user define tempo. Digital Performer in particular is way, way more elegant, not only in flexibility of tempo, but also in terms of the click.