Concerns about Steinberg Licensing

Ahh! That’s where this is coming from. I was wondering why you mentioned “leader” before. I’m with you. That’s just a stupid admin name in the forum software.

2 Likes

Perfectly stated here. This is EXACTLY what is going to transpire. Any spin on this is just that, spin.

Cubase is locked here at 11 along with a bricked MR816X

StudioOnePro give me 5 diff computer authorizations BTW, 5

3 Likes

And are the rooms connected to the internet?

Congrats for the new licensing system , hope it goes smooth with transition and hopefully it attracts new users/customers that want to demo Steinberg products that was dependent on the dongle.

my concern is related now for Legacy products, for example TG3 that seems wont get any major update if at all (maybe a good time for TG4 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:) , some old libraries /instruments like “dark planet” “neo soul keys” etc… also GA libraries,plugins that bundle with hardware (UR CH-strip ,reverb etc…)
also only new major updates will work with the new licensing ? for example Halion 7 ,HS 4 etc…? the idea is to get reed of the dongle and have same Steinberg software and libraries on laptop and desktop without needing to carry the dongle, so both computers compatible ,( i know its gonna take some time but eventually its gonna happen )

2 Likes

If you’re able to activate a machine at pointing of starting Cubase, and as other software, able to pick a machine to de-activate if required, the 2 “At one time” rule is easily managed.

By that i mean an in-line process which doesn’t require separate logging in to an account, and clicking through the relevant license managements.

Any plans for that kind of user interaction @Matthias_Quellmann ? Or will there be a limit on the number of times you can re-activate within a month for security purposes?

Ok. Let’s sum up the common ground.

1. The 30 day online allowance is a no-go. A local non-time-limited activation would be preferred.
  2. The limit of two activations is not enough. It needs to be three at minimum. But five would be better.

Correct?

7 Likes

@Matthias_Quellmann To hopefully deter you all from shooting yourselves, there are many that are happy about the new licensing system. I’m sure you know the minority is always the loudest…

Looking forward to the new system and thank you for taking Cubase in to the 21st century finally.

6 Likes

This!
Number of activations - I don’t care having bought enough licenses anyway.

Clarification on the number of times you can de-activate and activate within a single license per week/month/year would be nice to know please? :slight_smile:

I’m really liking the new system personally, but in the past i’ve had to use a third machine with a different software, and a 30 day limit was applied locking me out of bringing the second back online again.

In the current plan there is no limitation on activating and releasing products on different systems per week or month.

1 Like

Some yes, some no.

I also use Waves plugins that had an online license management system and got burned more than once in the middle of a busy day because, in addition to spotty Internet reliability in my region, there were occasionally problems with their licensing servers (perhaps you can relate to that from recent memory).

Waves had an additional feature that allows for saving the licenses to a USB drive. I now carry a small four port USB hub that contains my Cubase dongle, the drive for the Waves licenses and the iLok. I plug it in and it just works, without having to trust the Internet.

I’m not foolish enough to believe that any of my commentary will alter your company’s direction, but with no disrespect intended, spin is spin. I know where this is going in both the short and long term. There are no “customer benefits,” only the introduction of potential problems that I currently don’t have. And an eventual move to a subscription model that I have zero interest in.

8 Likes

That’s fantastic to hear. You’re certainly catering for the silent majority here, really looking forward to this. I for one would be more comfortable investing further into the Steinberg eco system knowing that I can activate a product “on the fly” with my login details.

As a frequent user of both desktop and laptop, It’s something that’s always made me hesitant to invest in sound libraries, GA Full, HALion etc.

3 Likes

obviously that is better

re: the 30 day activation - take a look at the dumpster fire that is BFD3 and their 30 day activation system…it’s hilarious. People are being left without working software the entire time due to bugs and server issues.

It’s not like SB activation servers ever go down…oh hang on :slight_smile:

plus it potentially much worse in the ‘new system’ if servers go offline - previously it was just new licences / transfers that were affected…under the new system lots of existing users or licences could just refuse to work…

it’s not a subscription, sure, but it’s time limited licences , even though they are paid in full - and essentially a ‘subscription’ model albeit without a monthly charge…yet !

edit - actually it is a subscription…by more or less any definition.

3 Likes

BFD3 is in the trash here because of this. Bye Bye BFD

1 Like

This summation is in fact placation me thinks.

Anyway, crack on. Peace

subscription definition from google

“an arrangement to receive something, typically a publication, regularly by paying in advance.”

1 Like

This!

2 Likes

StudioOne gives 5 authorizations and the LICENSE file is downloaded onto the machine.
When I log into StudioOne there is no server check involved. It works great. The auths are manage in my Mypresonus account. Never a need to be online after install and authorization is done.

I will NEVER do their Sphere BS either.

Reaper continues to look better and better

5 Likes

I posted it in another thread - but basically this new system is a subscription model, without the ongoing payment. You only ever get issued with a 30 licence - which gets renewed according to various conditions.

That’s not a perpetual licence ON THE MACHINE - even if it is in ‘account’ terms

4 Likes

Stop being an a**hole nkf