Concerns about Steinberg Licensing

That may be the case, but you combined it with a time bombed licensing, which need re-authorisation after some time, where on your side you control the timing. Why no permanent machine based license?
I had failed eLicensers, but having about a dozen or so I could repair and shift licenses. AFAIK I don’t have to renew the Live 11 authorisations - just as an example.

2 Likes

The USB eLicenser just lets you use Cubase on one system at a time. But I think that’s not your point. If two is not enough, how many would you need?

2 Likes

Of course I did not mean two computers “working at the same time”, but simply able to work at once just connecting the USB dongle. Sure many people use three or four computers and switch from one to another simply connecting our paid USB dongle. That is flexibility.

2 Likes

Per the comments of Pops Martin above, I had invested significantly in the Adobe Creative Suite, not just with their products but also many related plugins. When they started moving in the online direction there was a conversation on the forums exactly like this one. Adobe swore they would always keep perpetual licenses.

Of course, not long after that, perpetual licenses, and any kind of ownership concept for that matter, evaporated as they moved to their Creative Cloud subscription model that equates to a forced monthly rental of the software. To continue to use the platform that I had invested in, I would now have to pay an Adobe Tax every month for the rest of my life. Even if I didn’t care about all those glorious new features I’d get each month (and I didn’t). Stop paying the monthly tax, and the software is bricked. Because so much of the industry had invested heavily in their products they had their customers at gunpoint, and they knew it.

I now use Resolve.

The current move by Steinberg is “just” to an online licensing model, but in all the marketing speak of “future visions” there’s little doubt in my mind that this will evolve into a subscription model for Cubase. I’ve already seen this movie. Not interested in a sequel.

Steinberg / Yamaha may well protest and say that moving to a subscription model is not the intention. Just like Adobe did. However, once bitten, twice shy, and I’m not foolish enough to take the risk. There will be no Cubase 12 in my environment.

5 Likes

I am not sure if this assumption is correct.

2 Likes

not the same because of the 30 day timebomb of the new system - the elicencer will probably work for years and years.

^^^^ and that’s the difference with the elicencer which continues to work (until it breaks) …

3 Likes

I do ! with multiple dongles and machines

2 Likes

It is in my case. I work in three different rooms, and carry the USB key to the room I’m working in.

5 Likes

Why not, for example I bought licenses for all of the machines - having two Nuendo, two Cubase Pro, four Wavelab licenses etc. You can check this in my account, dear “Leader”.

2 Likes

Who knows.
I sure do. That’s why I bought the software and the dongle.
I started using Steinberg Pro 12 on the Atari, decades ago. It will be a sad decision to leave Cubase behind.

2 Likes

Ahh! That’s where this is coming from. I was wondering why you mentioned “leader” before. I’m with you. That’s just a stupid admin name in the forum software.

2 Likes

Perfectly stated here. This is EXACTLY what is going to transpire. Any spin on this is just that, spin.

Cubase is locked here at 11 along with a bricked MR816X

StudioOnePro give me 5 diff computer authorizations BTW, 5

3 Likes

And are the rooms connected to the internet?

Congrats for the new licensing system , hope it goes smooth with transition and hopefully it attracts new users/customers that want to demo Steinberg products that was dependent on the dongle.

my concern is related now for Legacy products, for example TG3 that seems wont get any major update if at all (maybe a good time for TG4 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:) , some old libraries /instruments like “dark planet” “neo soul keys” etc… also GA libraries,plugins that bundle with hardware (UR CH-strip ,reverb etc…)
also only new major updates will work with the new licensing ? for example Halion 7 ,HS 4 etc…? the idea is to get reed of the dongle and have same Steinberg software and libraries on laptop and desktop without needing to carry the dongle, so both computers compatible ,( i know its gonna take some time but eventually its gonna happen )

2 Likes

If you’re able to activate a machine at pointing of starting Cubase, and as other software, able to pick a machine to de-activate if required, the 2 “At one time” rule is easily managed.

By that i mean an in-line process which doesn’t require separate logging in to an account, and clicking through the relevant license managements.

Any plans for that kind of user interaction @Matthias_Quellmann ? Or will there be a limit on the number of times you can re-activate within a month for security purposes?

Ok. Let’s sum up the common ground.

1. The 30 day online allowance is a no-go. A local non-time-limited activation would be preferred.
  2. The limit of two activations is not enough. It needs to be three at minimum. But five would be better.

Correct?

7 Likes

@Matthias_Quellmann To hopefully deter you all from shooting yourselves, there are many that are happy about the new licensing system. I’m sure you know the minority is always the loudest…

Looking forward to the new system and thank you for taking Cubase in to the 21st century finally.

6 Likes

This!
Number of activations - I don’t care having bought enough licenses anyway.

Clarification on the number of times you can de-activate and activate within a single license per week/month/year would be nice to know please? :slight_smile:

I’m really liking the new system personally, but in the past i’ve had to use a third machine with a different software, and a 30 day limit was applied locking me out of bringing the second back online again.

In the current plan there is no limitation on activating and releasing products on different systems per week or month.

1 Like