Condensed Score bugs?

Derrek, we’re talking about KEY signatures here.

Sorry, Leo. I am clearly having a distracted day. Thanks.

Can you please attach a cut-down version of the project containing those bars and those players so we can take a look? In particular with condensing it’s imperative that we get actual project data to work with rather than pictures.

Thanks Daniel:

I really appreciate all the help and support that is being given. Dorico 3 Pro is amazing and once the wrinkles with condensing are worked out, it will be an absolute game-changer. Here is a link to the cut-down excerpt from a large orchestral work:

This is a concert score. When you compare the galley view with the condensed page view you will see, aside from the obvious spacing problems that remain, that:

• the change in key signature at letter A is missing from the oboes, bassoons, horns, trumpets 1.2, trombones and the bass trombone/tuba

• slurs are missing from oboe 1 and trumpet 1

The work was originally sketched in Dorico 2, then opened in Dorico 3 to produce the condensed score.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

1. You have a whole bunch of independent key signatures at A, as you’ll see if you turn on Key SIgnature signposts. Delete them to fix that problem.
  2. Dorico takes the view that notes on one stem only need one slur. The Oboe and Trumpet slurs are working as designed.

Thanks for this pianoleo.

This explains what happened and why. As usual it was operator error again and I shouldn’t blame the software. This does, however, lead to two additional questions:

I did not enter any key signature overrides so I am puzzled how they got there and why they are handled differently in the galley and page views.

Also, if I want to override the slur handling to add a slur in the first oboe and first trumpet, is there a way to do that?

Thanks!

The only likely explanations for the independent key signatures are:
a) manual error
b) funky MusicXML import

Condensing doesn’t appear to support independent key signatures, though I’ve not gone to lengths to find out what exact circumstances cause them to appear or disappear. Galley View isn’t Condensed, so limitations of that feature don’t show in Galley View.

The easiest way to see where the independent key signatures are is to select any one of the key signatures in Galley View, then look up and down. If this was a normal key signature, every single one of these would highlighted:

Slurs: I don’t know a way round this one.

An imported MusicXML file might contain this sort of thing, especially if you have transposing instruments and key signature changes.

MusicXML is more focussed on reproducing the visual appearance of the score than bothering about its semantics. MusicXML import into Dorico is fairly literal-minded, so if the MusicXML file says “there is a key signature here on this staff” that’s what you get, even if it is redundant.

Thanks pianoleo.

I also noticed the difference in highlighting when I attempted to delete the key signature and not all of them disappeared. After manually deleting the stragglers, selecting all staves and reapplying the new key signature, the problem disappeared. Thanks.

I doubt that MusicXML is the culprit since the work was brought from Dorico 2 into Dorico 3, not from some other program, unless Dorico uses MusicXML in the background to do that. I suspect that it is something I did rather than the fault of the program.

With regards to the missing slurs, I am trying to find a way to override the default slur behaviour when condensing. If notes are widely separated:
Without.jpg
I would like the option to add a second slur to avoid any ambiguity:
With.jpg
Thanks,

Obviously this is just one engraver’s opinion, but the second slur is redundant visual clutter, and definitely not an improvement, for the same reason I wouldn’t imagine you would put two staccato dots, two accents, or two dynamics on that staff. I imagine you’re used to what it looks like with two slurs, but… I’d humbly suggest you try to get used to the single slur. It’s much better.

I strongly second this opinion!

Thanks high5ths and dankreider. When I checked my copy of Gould’s Behind Bars she also strictly prohibited the second slur. I obviously have been doing it wrong for so long that it looks correct to me. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways.

Dear DSale,
Those slurs are very common in the XIXth century litterature. I still have to convince myself it’s better without :wink:
Anyway, thanks for the reminder!

Here is a new problem: Why are the hairpins in Cls and Bns in m. 4 scrunched up under the notres? I have tried grouping and ungrouping, linking and unlinking, no difference. I don’t remember noticing this in the previous version of Dorico, but I might have overlooked it.
dynamics.7z (421 KB)

Because they have offsets. Select them in Engrave mode and do Edit > Reset Position if those aren’t the offsets you want.

And another one, why does the flute have this crazy beam starting in m. 176? It does not appear in the uncondensed score nor the part, nor in galley view. ???
superbeam.7z (438 KB)

Thanks, Daniel.

There’s something funny about the beaming properties for those notes. In galley view, select the affected notes and do Edit > Beaming > Reset Beaming and that takes care of it.

Thanks again, Daniel! :slight_smile:

I noticed that cautionary accidentals manually added do not carry over to the condensed score. Or perhaps it’s operator error?
Richard