condensed staff rest hiding

I’m working on an orchestral score that has some aleatoric notation (a repeated gesture followed by a solid black line indicating the repetition of the gesture for the duration of that line). I know that I can make the solid line using a thick hairpin with 0 aperture, and I can remove rests from the empty bars so that they don’t conflict with the solid line, so this works great on normal staves.

However, when I am dealing with a condensed staff, I can’t figure out a way to hide the rests in empty bars since Dorico doesn’t let you edit condensed staves. Has anyone figured out a workaround for this yet?

Also, as a second question, is there any better way to create a box around a gesture for aleatoric notation than just using a blank text frame that doesn’t move with the music?

There’s no solution for editing rests on condensed staves as yet. We do plan to make it possible to edit rests in condensed staves in future, but it’s not going to become possible imminently.

I don’t think there’s a better way of producing a frame for aleatoric notation at the moment than using a bordered text frame. Again, we do plan to add dedicated features for aleatoric notation in future.

1 Like