Condensing Change Affects Large Time Signatures

Hi, I’ve just come across a small issue which I haven’t seen yet, and wanted to see if it was a bug or if I had something set up incorrectly. In my project, I’ve set Large Time Signatures to display once at each bracket.

In the project, I’ve got Hn 1, 2, 3 condensed into one staff. When I make a condensing change at the start of a new system and meter change, however, it seems as if the cautionary time signatures at the end of the previous system are somewhat confused by the change, so it displays the time signature at the scale that I’ve set for “one staff” instead of “four or more staves”.

I’ve tried making the condensing change right at the meter change, and also several bars before the meter change, but the same issue appears.

I’ve uploaded the project file. The issue happens between m.18-19 in the horn staves. One weird observation I’ve made is that if I delete the timpani notes starting in m.19, the cautionary time signature in the brass bracket becomes large as it’s supposed to, even though the timpani is in a completely different bracket.
Condensing Change Issue.dorico (805.2 KB)

I’m on Dorico 4.3.11

Welcome to the forum @simonli!

I don’t know the answer but although there may be an easy explanation, it’s always beneficial if you attach a project for us to look at - particularly for Condensing issues - rather than screenshots etc.

Hopefully someone can sort you out! :blush:

Thanks for the tip! I tried uploading the dorico project to the post, but it says the maximum file size allowed is 4MB, while the project file is 4.5MB so it doesn’t let me upload. Compressing it into a zip doesn’t make it any smaller either. But I welcome any other ideas to upload the project file!

1 Like

Make a copy and apply the Silence Playback Template to it. That will remove all the audio data that Dorico stores. The file will be much smaller.

1 Like

You can also export just part of your file that demonstrates the situation facing you.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I’ve uploaded the project file to the original post.

The issue happens between m.18-19. One weird observation I’ve made is that if I delete the timpani notes starting in m.19, the cautionary time signature in the brass bracket becomes large as it’s supposed to, even though the timpani is in a completely different bracket.

More precisely it is the timpani grace notes that seem to interact with the horn condensing change (which only takes effect at the beginning of the new system).

Others are more skilled at untangling this sort of issue. Sorry I can’t help further.