Condensing changes - ideal workflow?

Thanks to this forum and Dorico’s comprehensive help and tutorial resources, I think I’m now getting the hang of condensing changes – to the point of having completed those tasks on my four horns in the first of four flows of a big orchestral piece. But now I realise I mightn’t have done this the right way. I’d been working from left to right creating changes in places that I felt required them, and also frame breaks not necessarily associated with those changes; but is this the ideal workflow? Would it be better to deal with condensing changes in all staves in a frame (where necessary) before moving on to the next frame? Or does it not matter one way or another?

You’ll notice the order doesn’t really matter. Actually I’d rather deal with one (pair or more of condensed) instrument and then deal with the next… Because condensing is about phrases, and those can span different frames!
YMMV

1 Like

If you can work left-to-right, you’ll probably enjoy it more but that’s possibly subjective. Things like bracket/barline changes you really do want to be doing left-to-right, and because other things like note spacing changes work “from X position onwards” as well, it’s possibly a good habit to be in.

1 Like