Condensing does not work, yet again

I have yet another issue with condensing! I want hrn 1/2 and hrn 3/4 to be condensed. Dorico either condenses 1/2/3 and leaves 4 on a single stave, or condenses 3/4 1/2 and leaves 3 and 4 on singles staves, each, no matter what I input into the condensing dialogue in Layout Options. All the rest condenses just fine, even with different notes in similar instruments. Only the hrns are treated differently.

2 Likes

Please attach the project, or at least a cut-down version of it that contains the troublesome passage, and we’ll be happy to take a look.

Thank you @dspreadbury - here it is. Dropbox - Ulf MĂĽller TSE 22 1rst formative - Jurrasic Park.dorico - Simplify your life

Thanks for providing the score. If you want Horns 1 and 2, and Horns 3 and 4 to condense consistently, I would advise setting up appropriate custom condensing groups on the Players page of Layout Options. Horn 3 and 4 won’t condense onto the same staff because their pitches cross too often. Go to the Condensing page of Notation Options and set Pitch crossing approach to Allow unlimited pitch crossing.

Thank you @dspreadbury !! Yes that does make sense - horn 3/4 cross too often. Didn´t notice that. It was only a very first draft. I threw everything onto the stave and now I´m pushing things around.
I did try and group them together in the Players page, as you layed out, but it still didn´t happen - now I know why.

1 Like

Condensing, when understood, can be a great proofreading tool.
Did I cross notes accidentally?
Do I have mismatching dynamics, playing techniques etc…?

5 Likes

I keep running into those condensing problems!!! When I condense in this project two things happen: 1. the trumpets, which play exactly the same, all dynamics, et care the same, do not condense, and 2. something weird happens - Dorico condenses some string parts and some WW parts together into a new stave. ???

Here is the project:
Some Kind of Tango.dorico (2.8 MB)

It looks like there are two systems on that page and the bottom of the first system overlaps onto the top of the second.

Well, that is the problem. No clue how it comes about!!!

You’ll need to manually add a frame break at bar 71 to push that system onto the next page. Dorico has to make a guess based on how much it believes will likely fit on a single page but it does so before the music is condensed, so sometimes it is wrong and puts too much on the page.

1 Like

And the trumpets are not condensing because you’ve set up trumpet 1 as a solo player and the second trumpet as a section player (a section of trumpets instead of a single trumpet).

2 Likes

Thank makes sense, thank you! How can I combine the two trumpets? Do I have to create a new section and then move the instruments to the new players?

You need to make a new solo player as a new empty handed player, put them in the correct order in the list for second trumpet, and then move the trumpet 2 instrument from the “hands” of the trumpet 2 section player to the “hands” of the empty handed solo player. Then you can delete the new empty handed section player, which was previously the “trumpets 2” section player.

1 Like

I did as you suggested. I created a new solo player, moved the one that would not condense into the hands of the newly created player, put them in the right order, and checked for octave crossing and similar notations. It just does not work. I have the same problem with several other players, too. I added them to a film score layout from Dorico. Dorico appears to accept only those players from the original layout as condensable. Dunno, just a guess. I included a link to the project - it´s too big to upload it here, for this is quite urgent - the project is due on Monday 12. of June. Any help is highly appreciated!

I hope this helps!

1. Convert section players to solo players
  2. Return Instrument names to defaults
  3. Remove all custom condensing groups

and this is what you get.
Ulf MĂĽller, TSE22 summative, Maximall Kopie-condensing.dorico (2.5 MB)

(also I removed what appeared to be a redundant barline/grouping change signpost)
Condensing appears to work pretty well.

1 Like

Wow, @Janus !!! That is exciting! Thank you!!! I´ll try it all out myself. Now. Great help!

Now I ran into new trouble. I hate to ask again, but I have to. Everything was fine with your condensing. Now I wanted to condense the horns 1-3-5, and 2-4-6, so I selected the horn in that order in the custom condense dialogue. Sometimes it´s just the way I want it, but even after checking with all the octaves and similarities, in each voice, Dorico is creating a chaos. Well, anyway - not the way it is planned. Especially bar 208 to 235. Since condensing seems to be such a difficult matter, I need to ask again what´s wrong. Thank you, and sorry! Dropbox - Ulf Müller, TSE22 summative, Maximall Kopie-condensing Kopie.dorico - Simplify your life

218ff could be solved by Notation Options>Condensing>Pitch crossing approach>Allow unlimited pitch crossing

Before i don’t understand why it is like that, but:

213-214 if you change the lines, that there are no crossing voices, 1./3./5. works.
But I don’t know, why the crossing voices are no problem for the other horns.

217 seems to be the remaining problem for 2./4./6.

Thank you @Nukkul ! That has helped a bit. But, yes, as you say - the reason why the other bars won´t condense is still mysterious.