Condensing Line Disappearing

Sorry to pop the same question again…it’s just that we really need it. So here it comes: ‘is there any progress on the issue?’

No, I’m sorry to say that there is no progress on this issue.

Adding myself to the list of those who would warmly welcome lines in condensed staves.

In the meantime, here’s the workaround I’m using (do this ideally very late in the editing process once staff and note spacing have been finalized):

1. Copy all missing lines to any staff that doesn’t condense.
  2. “Hide” them in part (Custom scale: 1, Color->Opacity 0%) where they don’t belong. [Do this before Step 3, otherwise they may wander around the part.]
  3. Drag all lines to proper locations in Engrave.

Working for me in this context with horizontal lines (condensed violins were missing lines; i added two to uncondensed double bass and continuo):
Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 16.35.43

1 Like

I think there is an easier solution for your specfifc case. You can create custom playing techniques like your “SP+” and whatever came before it and then group these playing techniques together. You will get an arrow like yours in between by doing that which is customizable in the property panel. And as far as I know, playing techniques do condense.

3 Likes

Wow, you’re absolutely right. Thanks! I didn’t know about this Group Playing Technique feature.

Yes, I also only found out about it after I had created already dozens of custom lines in my template :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This works great. Easiest if there is a playing technique on both sides of the arrow (e.g. ST->SP) but it also seems possible to define an empty playing technique instead of ST to get just an arrow to a playing technique: ->SP

Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 18.09.07

It’s just a bit tricky to select this playing technique from the menu and the score. But possible.

Thanks again for the great tip!

3 Likes

Also the “suffix” function is great. It even follows the font used for the playing technique. So variations of a technique (SP+, SP++) are easy and don’t require creating new playing techniques…like in some inferior software that shall not be named.

Ah…maybe I spoke too soon. Right now these playing techniques are NOT appearing in my condensed staves. Hm. There could be several reasons for that and I’ll start troubleshooting it now. Are you able to get grouped playing techniques with continuation lines to appear in condensed staves?

To be honest I have not really tried it but assumed that it would work as “single” custom playing techniques definitely do condense. Will see whether I can get it to work later today.

1 Like

This simple example seems to work.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m forum-diving now. My single playing techniques are, in some cases, not appearing. I think it’s related to how Condensing Changes, divisi changes, and system breaks interact.

Yes, must be something in this area. I can definitely get them to condense here.

1 Like

Thanks for your help. Good to know it works!

1 Like

Nearly solved it. Messing with Notation Options → Condensing → Amalgamation approach for playing techniques is getting me somewhere…not sure it’s working as I expect though.

Make sure the playing techniques are exactly the same on both staves. Best is to copy them down with „Duplicate to staff below“

1 Like

Is there any plan to address this issue at all? I’m trying to preserve the following arrow line in the Alto part (measure 4) of an SATB chorale when condensed:

Here is the condensed version, the line has disappeared, and I’m not even able to select the notes in condensed mode to create a line again.

Yes, we do plan to implement support for condensing lines in a future version of the software.

Nice, I didn’t know about this duplication function. I had been copy/pasting manually. Thanks.

It’s one of my most used features, and it applies to everything you can select. You can duplicate a whole line down for example, and then with the lock rhythm feature (pressing L while in Note Input) quickly respell it to get a homophone structure.

( Beware, though. If the playing technique is added at the start of a tuplet, duplicating it like this will lead to the tuplet being duplicated with the playing technique. It’s a known limitation).

And hi :wave:t4:! :slight_smile:

2 Likes