Condensing Questions

Hi everyone,

My apologies if these questions have been asked before. I searched the forum and couldn’t find anything.

EXAMPLE 1: Why are the rests not amalgamated at the end of this measure? I have all the amalgamation settings turned ON.

EXAMPLE 2: Is it possible to NOT show the redundant “Ob.” label above the entrance of Oboe 2? I understand that the label appears because the player just switched from English horn, but the staff label already indicates that this is Oboe 2. In addition, is it possible to hide the “to English Horn,” “to Bass Clarinet” instrument change labels throughout the score, but leave them in the parts?

EXAMPLE 3: Again, the staff labels tell the story, and I’d love to hide the redundant “1” “2” and “Solo” markings. Any way to set this globally?

QUESTION 4 (no example): Is it possible to have four horns condensed onto one staff, but to pair horns 1 and 3 with stems up, and horns 2 and 4 with stems down? I’ve tried making a custom condensing group and assigning the instruments to stem directions and I described, but it doesn’t seem to work.

Thanks!

1. There’s not enough context here to answer the question. Can you please produce a minimal example containing those bars for those instruments and attach it here so we can take a look?

2. & 3. There are no secret options for hiding player labels at the moment: we are thinking about adding further options to allow you to hide the labels under more circumstances in future.

3. Yes, you can do this using manual condensing in the Condensing Change dialog.

Sure — thanks so much. I’ve attached a minimal example test case here.

1. & 3. There are no secret options for hiding player labels at the moment: we are thinking about adding further options to allow you to hide the labels under more circumstances in future.

Excellent — that would be much appreciated.

1. Yes, you can do this using manual condensing in the Condensing Change dialog.

Got it — not sure why I couldn’t get this to work before. (User error!) Thanks!
test.dorico.zip (372 KB)

The rests aren’t showing as a single rest because the option ‘Coincident rests of the same duration in opposing voices’ on the Rests page of Notation Options is set to ‘Show every rest in each voice’.

At the start of your example, the first phrase is true unison, so there’s only one voice (with players “a 2”) and hence only one rest, but at the end of the example you have two voices and hence show two rests.