Condensing: rests

I’m slightly out of my depth with Condensing.

I have lots of phrases where just the 1st instrument plays, following a rest.

Instead of giving me a full bar’s rest for player 2, Dorico splits out the first beat. I can’t find a way to stop this.

As usual, a file is worth a thousand pictures (especially when dealing with condensing) :wink:
Have you tried putting a manual condensing change at the very beginning of that bar?

What should the change do?

I can’t see any relevant options.

This might help (I don’t know for certain, though) -
Notation Options > Rests > Rest Positioning > Coincident rests of the same duration in opposing voices: > Show only one rest

No: I already had that setting. I tried the opposite.

I can’t share the file, I’m afraid, but I’m hoping the behaviour/problem will be recognised.

The only condensing option I can see is to exclude the rests of the 2nd player altogether.

This did it for me for a similar situation. You might have to “reset” afterwords.

1 Like

Yes, that works perfectly! Though … isn’t ‘Up for 1, Down for 2’ the default, in any case?

It basically means I have to manually define that for a whole bunch of instruments.

I cannot replicate the behaviour you see. I get this with factory settings.
cond3

You’re right: I get the same as you in a new document.

It’s a project file I’ve been given; and I can’t just reset it. I’ll see if the Library Manager can yield some info.

Is this perhaps another xml import problem?

No: I think it was created from scratch.

When I tried that, the order of items in the right-hand column was this initially:

and it resulted in the behaviour which Ben was seeing.

When I clicked on the Flute 2, held for a couple of seconds and then dragged it to underneath Down-Stem Voice, as here:

the condensing changed to a whole rest for the Flute player in the condensed staff.

Except that I’m not getting two up-stems anywhere else.

I’ve reset the Notation Options in the document to my defaults, but it’s still creating all those rests without the manual change. Hmm.

Arrgh: and the manual change is causing using problems.

What does it look like in galley? Are any properties set for the rests?

They’re implicit rests. All in Up-stem 1 in Galley.

Unless I can find the global cause, I’m having to manually set the stems every time there’s 1 player, and then reset them for unisons!

Up against a deadline and nearly finished. Will have time investigating later!

I suspect you may be encountering the problem I described in this post:

3 Likes

That’s it!
So it can be ‘fixed’ by moving one instrument to a different voice…?

Yes: I think that’s the issue. They are all preceded by a2 unisons.

Thanks!

Here is an example that shows how one condensed phrase ends can influence the way the next one begins:

Bars 3 and 5 show whole rests for the inactive player because the phrases in bars 2 and 4 end with one instrument not playing or with two instruments in different voices. Bars 7 and 9 do not show whole rests for the inactive player because the phrases in bars 6 and 8 end with both instruments playing and sharing a voice.

3 Likes