Condensing stem direction instance

Hoping someone might point me in the right direction for a condensing stem direction issue, and that the screenshots below are enough to figure it out. I’m wondering why the upper part stems do not automatically appear up-facing. Here’s the condensed excerpt:

Here’s what I have in galley view:

Screen Shot 2023-07-31 at 7.42.54 AM

I can confirm that all voices are upstem voice 1. I have “Hide rests and label active player” and “Hide rests only at the start or end of bars” both turned on in the Notation Options, however, I don’t see why either of those might create the stem issue. I can also confirm that there’s nothing on the staff up to that point in the system. What am I missing?

Can you upload your project? It’s the quickest way to diagnose condensing issues.

I think Dorico is behaving as you would expect. There is nothing (no notes in player2, nor any rests) to force the player1 notes to go upstem.

1 Like

If the rests in the 2nd part were showing (as I think they should), the 1st part would go stems-up.

Make a condensing change on that bar.

@DanielMuzMurray : Apologies, I do know that it’s always best to attach the actual file, but it’s SO BIG and even just deleting the many other flows causes my Mac windmill to spin for long stretches. I’m hoping that’s a last resort.
@Janus But there are rests in the lower part which I would think would cause the stems to go up as @Mark_Johnson noted.

@Sergei_Mozart : Can you tell me what condensing change I’m supposed to make here? I thought that the settings I already have in place should result automatically in the desired outcome. Are you suggesting that I make a manual change and assign each part specifically to voice 1 and voice 2? Isn’t that what I already have?

Well it seems that it must have to do with “minimum length of range of rests to allow hiding”, because when I make this longer the rests do appear. But I guess I don’t understand how I should set this, since I have so many flows with different meters and measure lengths. Must require some trial and error, which is hard to do with a huge project.

You can change almost all of the per-flow options from the Condensing page of Notation Options in condensing change items, so you can override them at any point in the flow.

1 Like

Manual Condensing change: e.g. flute → enable the horizontal switch → click change and don’t check “Hide rests for inactive players”. This is an override, of course.

image

1 Like

Of course! My mistake, I realized that after I wrote my last post. However, I am still a bit confused as to the most efficient settings. What I want is this: For any full measure with only one player playing, I want no rests in the other part(s). For any partial measure, I ALWAYS want to show rests. It seems there’s no setting for this. If I make the span of rest hiding long enough to stretch the longest measure of the flow, whole rests appear in single measures with only one player playing, even when “hide rests only at the start or end of bars” is selected. If I make the rest interval smaller, there are some measures where the desired rests do not appear. I feel like I am misunderstanding the combination of settings here.

Many thanks.

This has me puzzled, too.

I can’t figure out what might cause the eighth rest and the two “1.” indications.

I bit the bullet and created a cut down version of the file:
Complete - test copy 2.dorico (1.1 MB)

I can’t figure out why there is an eighth rest on the horn parts in m. 16. I also don’t know why the labels “1.” and “2.” appear when there are two voices with opposing stems. Is it not understood that the upper voice is the first player? I know this must be because I’m dense and can’t figure out the settings!

With further investigation it seems that in order to avoid the rest under the 1st horn entrance in m. 16 I need to set the “minimum length of range of rests to allow hiding” to less than 1/2 of a quarter note. If I do this globally, however, then I do not get the proper stem directions in the bassoons in m. 15. Does this mean that I have to make manual condensing changes at every such occurrence? if that’s true, this is going to take a lifetime to go through because every change I make causes the pinwheel to spin for a good 5-10 seconds.

You could create a condensing change that changes that setting, just in that one spot, then another after that spot that Resets to the global setting.

It’s this setting, again measured in quarter notes:

You know what, I’ve always wondered about this too. “1.” and “2.” indications aren’t needed for when it’s already obvious as in when player starts playing and there’s rests within that bar for the other voice. In your image of your last post, there should only be one “1.”, which would be the last one.
I suspect the reason they did this way is the possibility of having more than 2 condensed players on same staff, therefore more than 1 voice with stems in the same direction. Nonetheless, I question this practice, since this wouldn’t be most likely approved to a conductor.
Seems rather useful for a Condensed score for analysis instead.

@pianoleo thanks, and that’s what I’m doing now. I just hoped/assumed that this part of the process would be more automatic.