Confirmed: OSX 10.6.7, Cubase 5.5.x & HALion One (crash)

!!! that’s a good remark!!!

Indeed my machine is aprox 3 years old and came with OSX10.5 pre-installed, so at some step between the fonts must have come in… and for a strange reason must have been assigned this priority level…
it’s funny that the marking accords with the crash-cause… funny… but now as we have circled the potential cause I’ll probably try the upgrade again this week-end

(… but don’t shoot me if it still crashes! :astonished: :smiley: just kidding )

nono, don’t worry… (aehmm, just for curiosity: where do you live exactly? :laughing: ) hahahaha :laughing:

Hi Vic,

I tested this issue again and found some more problematic fonts.
(white ones)

I am not 100% sure about the yellow ones, but as they’re also from this very old date (no idea how they got there, I never had an OSX in 1996) I also excluded them…
I’ll make later a test to see if they’re really problematic, but blue and white ones are involved…

THX vic for troubleshooting this into the right direction…

P.S: It might be that not all blue & white are involved. I excluded the fonts on a date basis as these differ seriously from the dates of other fonts.

So, just to clarify…
Is Cubase now working o.k. with those fonts removed?

Here (where it is working o.k. now), in comparison with your list,
We already know that the “blue” ones are a no-no (so I have removed them here)
I have later versions of your three “yellow” ones.
Of the “white” ones, I have…
the same version of Chicago CE
and later versions of Courrier CE, Monotype Sorts, and Times OE Roman.suit.

If wou wish, PM me with your email address, and I’ll send those later versions to you (although they are probably duplicates, anyways, of later bundled suitcases that are surely already on your machine. Have you used Apple’s FontBook to check for duplicates?)

to be precise:

Cubase 4.5.2 is working now OK with fonts removed
Cubase 5 HALion One is working OK with fonts removed
Cubase SX 3 is also working OK with fonts removed (though some new plugins needed to be blacklisted which hadn’t before but that’s probably not related)

Now about the fonts:
blue ones are as mentioned crash-cause
yellow ones I removed them for safety will need to really recheck
white ones: I sorted them out by date. For a clear check I would need to remove and add step by step to see which one is exactly troubling the system. But I am pretty sure there’s at least one problematic font, as removing just the blue ones wasn’t enough…

I didn’t use yet the fontBook to check for duplicates
And: by the way: I needed to restart always after removing. Otherwise Cubase kept crashing…

That’s normal… once a font has been loaded, it stays in RAM.

just a quick info update…
Apple today released a small OS X 10.6.7 update that deals with a few fonts problems.
So, I installed it, then (just out of pure curiosity), re-installed those problem fonts…
Problem fixed! :slight_smile:

Hi Vic,

Thanks for this news! Will stright away install the OSX update!