Confused About Expression Maps

Using a cello voice with HALion Sonic SE, I keyed in two measures of 16th notes that I’d like to sound “plucked” and I can’t seem to make it happen. I created and saved an expression map (which I’d never done before) in order to make the notes pizzicato but, after viewing several videos and adjusting this expression map several different ways, and after trying in scoring mode and in key editor mode to apply the expression map, I’ve accomplished nothing. Each note retains its standard “bowed” expression no matter what I do.

Do I really need an “expression map” just to give the notes a pizzicato sound? If so, can someone please point me to a helpful tutorial? Cubase’s documentation is just confusing, none of the videos I’m finding are helpful at all, and I feel that I must be missing something obvious. I had imagined using the score editor to simply change a note’s expression by clicking on the note and choosing the type of expression I want. Does this really need to involve a multi-step mapping sequence? I’m probably either missing a step or completing the sequence incorrectly but it doesn’t seem like this should be so difficult.

Thanks in advance…

Does the cello voice have a keyswitch for pitz?

I don’t think so? Key switches are also new to me and I’ve read about them in the operations manual… I don’t find an “import key switches” option anywhere for the GM Cello voice, which I mention because the manual says the option will only be “available when the loaded program has key switches”. I don’t know if the VST (HALion Sonic SE in this case) is the “lodaded program” or if that refers to the voice I’ve chosen.

The manual keeps using HALion Symphonic Orchestra as an example, which makes me think that maybe I have few/no key switches unless I’ve purchased a more richly-featured VST. Am I guessing right?

If the sample set has no articulations, the expression map is not tied to anything.

Just look at the keyboard at the bottom … if there are yellow keys, then you can use expression maps.

there are lots of ways vendors have implemented articulation management. So this is a very deep subject. I just gave you the 101 way of looking at it.

Generally the patches tagged “VX” have articulations ‘under the hood’ so to speak.

Actually I believe there IS a cello patch somewhere that includes the staccato articulation.

Keep in mind that it does not mean these are multisampled. As far as I can see these so called articulations are nothing more than a truncated envelope or simple tremolo or pitch bend. In other words, you can decide for yourself whether you like the neat and tidy workflow of the expression lane, or should you just make a duplicate patch and adjust your own envelopes.

For any patch, in order to make your own tidy expression lane articulated instrument, it really is a matter of duplicating and adjusting parameters to make an articulation as a instrument on a separate midi channel, then you set it up in the expression settings, basically you will call up these articulations by their respective channel.

So far the VST3 expression has either not been adopted well, or has not lived up to its potential.

Thanks very much. I think I got all of the information here that I needed.