Confused about the logic behind these implicit rests, and a measure count of three beats

I’m working on a piece that’s in 4/4 time. I’m seeing some implicit rest behavior that is confusing to me.

In measure 8, I’m not sure why the implicit rests and the notes in the measure total 3, rather than 4. If I try to change the third quarter note to two beats, it automatically flows over to measure 9.

Just created a new measure, as a replacement. That fixes the issue. This piece began its life via scanned music that was imported as XML. Perhaps that process introduced some glitches? (I’m hesitant to use a synonym for an insect).

BTW: What is the significance of the signpost shown above measure 9? The displayed info seems self-evident, but I’m probably missing something.

I suspect the problem here has arisen from the MusicXML file that you imported: bar 8 has ended up with only three quarter beats in it, instead of four, so the signpost you see at the barline between bars 8 and 9 is telling you there’s something unusual going on: the barline comes at a position that belies the time signature.

I’m as sure as I can be that Dorico only created the wayward bar 8 because that’s what was encoded in the MusicXML file you imported. Depending on which application you’re using for music scanning, if you have the option in that application to check and fix any metrical problems before you import into Dorico, that’s usually the best time to catch and fix those errors.

Thanks Daniel.

I agree… it’s extremely likely the problem was introduced before the XML file ever reached Dorico. I’ll bear this in mind with future imports.

In terms of existing projects, I’m curious if there’s a way to 'look beneath the hood, (bonnet?) when I encounter oddness like this and fix the problem within Dorico? If that’s not the case, creating a new measure then writing into it is perfectly workable.

You can insert beats into existing music to fix up the duration, then remove barline overrides or hidden time signatures.

Thanks Lillie. Adding beats is a pretty useful feature to know about. Didn’t really fix the problem with munched meters (due to weirdness in the XML file I imported).

Adding a whole note fixed the weird measures; however, copying the notes from the errant measure and pasting to a fresh measure, (then deleting the funky measure) seems to be the most straightforward approach.

What are barline overrides?

Barline overrides are apparently “normal” single barlines that have an accompanying red signpost. They represent barlines that have been input explicitly, or were input as a time signature change that was then hidden. Aka a change to the default pattern of barlines that flows from the previous time signature.

(Well, any explicitly input barline is technically an override to that default sequence, but you’re most likely to encounter confusion around single barline overrides, because apart from the signpost, they’re identical to normal barlines.)