Confusion with Dorico videos

Hi Bill – please feel free to add any further feedback you have about the First Steps guide or videos specifically to one of your existing threads on the topic. I will reply only briefly to try to avoid (once again) derailing another thread.

As I’m certain I’ve said before, the videos John made of him working through the First Steps guide are not a 1-to-1 recreation of the guide, because I think John wanted to offer a slightly different perspective than simply reading out the text that was already written, because you can refer to your own copy of the written guide at any time for reference.

I know very well from your previous comments that you have at times found this approach confusing – you can get in contact with John directly to let him know this, as well as your other video-related suggestions, which are beyond my remit.

Hello, I do not wish to malign the teaching profession - after all, I was a teacher for some years in the past : no, I was saying that there are cases of teachers (or lecturers) who ate unable to understand the problems of those who are at a much lower level of knowledge of their subject, and cannot help them much for this very reason. I came across a number of computer lecturers who could not help their students at the early stages of their learning.

I’d dispute that that characterisation fits the authors of the Feature Videos, Discover Dorico sessions, Tips Tuesday Animations, the extensive documentation, and all the staff replies on this very forum, whose success in communicating far exceeds that of almost any other software I’ve used.

4 Likes

Hello Richard,

Thank you for your helpful advice : I will certainly start by writing out something like part of Eine Kleine Musik - probably part of the slow movement at first - and then try out as many things as I need, writing down what happens as a result - my own user guide !
It is a pity that nobody has attempted to answer the suggestions that I wrote - I have a feeling that it would cause too many problems, but it was worth saying.

I will let you know how I get on: at present Dorico is so complex to a beginner like me, that the thought of writing music using it too much - I will probably write froma keyboard onto paper, and only when I have experimented as you suggest will I have the courage and knowledge to try to make use of Dorico.

Thanks again
Bill

You were directed to a comment by Daniel on the topic of updating videos roughly an hour after your initial post. It’s something the team is working on.

It’s also the Christmas season – you started this thread on Boxing Day, and today it’s New Year’s Eve. Could you perhaps forgive members of the Dorico team not being on the forum in the middle of their holidays?

The reason I asked you what you want to use Dorico for was to focus on what you want to achieve, rather than specific issues with videos. Because if we understand what you’re trying to do, and what is getting in the way, we can offer you tailored help right now, and long-term consider how your experience could lead to wider improvements. (A variation of a common request on this forum: tell us your needs, not just your proposed solution.)

How about giving this very short guide to note input a go?

Or the Getting Started with SE playlist: try to ignore the differences in the UI where they don’t affect what you’re doing in that moment, and any additional options added in the latest version, and instead just focus on achieving the task in hand. That will give you first-hand understanding of what’s going on, and you can add to that knowledge as you go. Don’t expect yourself to understand everything immediately.

5 Likes